UK iPhone - no EDGE or GPRS connectivity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danp, Nov 10, 2007.

1. danp macrumors member

Hi,

Picked up my iPhone last night - generally love it.

I do have one quite major issue, however - I can't get any EDGE or GPRS connectivity. I live in an area that is covered by both (Cambridge). I get no on screen icons to indicate I am connected to either (just the regular GSM signal strength bar).

Everything works like a treat when I'm connected to my own Wifi network. The soon as I turn Wifi off, nothing. Safari will timeout, Mail will report errors connecting to the IMAP server and Youtube will error.

In addition to this (which I suspect is related) Visual Voicemail won't work ("Voicemail error, try again later"). Nor will the Weather or Stock Widgets.

I was an existing o2 customer who transferred to the iPhone tariff. The changes appeared to be instantaneous - calling and texting went over immediately.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Any suggestions to resolve - from what I can see, any settings related to EDGE are hidden from the user.

As a last resort I'll call o2, but I'm hopeful someone here has a solution!

Cheers,
    Dan

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Call O2 to check you're in signal range and check that they don't have a problem at their end, otherwise you probably have a faulty iPhone.

3. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I'd try resetting your iPhone first of all to see if that does anything - if that doesn't work the give them a call, it could be something to do with the way data was enabled on your old account causing it to not migrate properly.

4. danp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the swift responses.

The old 'switch off, switch on' trick appears to have partially resolved it. I now have a solid block next to the GSM signal which I believe indicates it has GPRS connectivity.

This means all of the features now work (albeit slowly) apart from Youtube which wants an EDGE connection.

Strange as I should be in range of EDGE (according to the information published on this site) but at least I can get something now.

Thanks again,
    Dan

5. nebsta macrumors member

I had this problem too, you can also fix it by going to settings --> general --> reset --> reset network settings and GPRS works fine now (just annoying that I dont get EDGE where I live!)

6. fraserdrew macrumors member

hehe... i was in a cpw in Reading today, the idiot of a sales assistant tried to convince me that the phone was running on EDGE in the store, until i pointed out to him it was on wifi!
    EDGE coverage is terrible, my o2 G600 has it, but there is no-where in Reading (a fairly large sized place) where i get EDGE! no iPhone for me.... yet!

7. DogcowUK macrumors member

Same problem for me, moved from my existing pay monthly o2 contract to an iPhone and was unable to get a GPRS or EDGE connection until after I reset the network settings. I also believe this is the cause of not being able to set-up Visual Voicemail as it needs to establish a GPRS/EDGE connection to do so, once the network settings were reset it burst into life.