UK: iPhone on Orange

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by helix21, Sep 28, 2009.

1. helix21 macrumors regular

Isnt this swell.... i am due an upgrade this saturday from O2 and was going to pick the iPhone on £35 monthly £185 start contract. It was something i was really looking forward to and basically, i couldnt wait for it. I even had a dashboard countdown calendar running for it.

Now Orange has announced the iPhone (and they say before Christmas). I am off to uni next year so the vastly superior 3G coverage could potentially help but i am mainly interested in the price difference. I dont think orange will be able to reduce the price significantly because its already highly subsidised but what are your thought?

Should i walk into the store and pick one up come saturday or wait (potentially) till christmas?

2. matttye macrumors 601

Apparently Orange doesn't have a revenue sharing clause built into its agreement with Apple so it should potentially be able to offer better deals than O2.

3. helix21 thread starter macrumors regular

really? that is news to me.

But after some research, orange is generally more expensive than o2 on most other phones. Although they claim that their coverage is better than orange, whenever i call anyone with an orange phone it says "welcome to orange answerphone". I never had even the tiniest bit of trouble with o2 and their customer service is FANTASTIC. I called in one day wondering why i was charged (new to UK, did not know that 08 numbers werent included) and they nicely explained it to me plus cut the charge by half.
    And tbh, why try to mend something that hasnt broken? I have had flawless coverage in my area

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think you've answered your own question. If you are happy with O2 and it's coverage, why not go for it. :)

5. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Revenue sharing died a long time ago AFAIK.

This is great news though, competition between companies can mean nothing but benefits for the customer! :)

6. matttye macrumors 601

Orange have better 3G coverage but O2 have more coverage as a whole (GPRS/Edge/3g) as far as I know.

This is just what I've read in the articles out today.. I can't remember which one but it was one of the first hits for "iphone orange" on google.

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

So will this mean O2 is more obliged to release iPhone unlock codes to those out of contract?

I know they have no legal need to do so but they can't hide behind exclusivity clause anymore

8. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I hope they do. I have been an Orange user most of my cell phone life. The coverage has always been better where I am. I'd jump ship right away if I could. I am on Pay and go so there is nothing else holding me.

9. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

i am really looking forward to the iphone coming to orange. I have a problem though. i brought a 3gs on pay as you go but still have an iphone contract from my 3g which runs out in january which is really good. But i want to change to orange without having to get a new iphone. Do you think they may offer this is some form?

10. Bagot69 macrumors member

I dont think o2 will be giving out any codes there to proud of being the 1st UK company with the iPhone + will wanna keep that title as long as posible without there punters jumping to other providers!

11. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

I think if one company (Voda, O2, Orange) offers an unlocked/unlockable iPhone 3G or 3GS they'll be the ones picking up all the customers regardless of 3G and coverage etc..

Also FYI O2 have also renegotiated their contract and everyone has done away with revenue sharing, thus intensifying the price war which should see the lowest tariff drop about £5 or more :)

Anyhow, the main things I'm sure every iPhone owner will look for is:
    Price - Tariff, Upfront costs
    Unlockable? - To take abroad
    3G Coverage
    Data Limit (Unlimited for O2 really is unlimited.)
    Tethering - No-one will tether for free though :rolleyes: