UK.. iPhone or iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ksolano, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ksolano macrumors regular

If your in the UK like me, loads of us will have a very difficult choise to make come september 28th. Do we buy the ipod touch? or do you hold out for the iphone? personally knowing nothing about the iphone in UK makes this choise harder!! no idea about price, release date, network selection & their data plan prices.. if its with O2 i bet the iphone will be really expensive & the price of the contract will be a killer as its only exclusive to one phone network!! :confused: either way, i'll be buying a ipod touch asap.

i suppose apple have shot themselves in the foot over the iphone, but i guess apple knew this :)
    Yeah apple might sell a few million iphones world wide, but there gonna sell alot more ipod touches world wide..
    What do u think?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Consider the odds are that iPhone UK will be out 25th, Id get the iPhone! :D

EDIT: And search! There are plenty of threads, but ill sum it up for you.
    - ON O2
    - Apple Paris Expo 25th-27th most likely release date
    - EDGE

3. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

About your signature, from were are you getting this date, Apple has not announced any thing, have they?

4. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

He has faith. Something I am clinging on to as well. At least they should say SOMETHING about the UK release in 17 days. I just want an announcement, then I can look forward to being the only person in the queue for the Regent's Street Apple Store :D

Either way, if you're getting an iPhone, stick with the classic. This is what I'm doing 16GB iPhone/160GB iPod Classic sounds like a killer pair to me.

Besides, as Steve Jobs once exclaimed on Current TV: "iPHONE BITCH!".

Answered. :eek:

5. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

6. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Awesome! :D How do you think the turn out will be? If there is one?

The store's open 'til 9PM so I think we could be on for a 6PM release. Which is awesome. Ply my GF off to the giant Topshop round the corner and me to loudly ejaculate in the Apple Store :p

7. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

I noticed you live in Horsham, I think the Kingston store is nearer to you though i'm not quite sure. I live really near to it and I expect the queues will be small.. although there were massive queues on the grand opening.

8. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Whadd'ya mean grand opening? Has it not opened yet? Besides, it's pretty near London and as I don't drive I have to take the train meaning that the Regent's St. Store is not only more convenient but will be the hub of the action.

I wonder if it will turn out like the US launch. I wanna be there, and I wanna be one of the first, yet 5 days? I have college to go to and as much as they love me cutting classes (especially to queue outside Apple Stores), I think a week off seems a tad ridiculous. It doesn't seem very British either. I think we should all wait until 1 minute before release then everyone just RUN. :D

9. ksolano thread starter macrumors regular

what if it is a 28month contract at around £50per month + the £199 for the phone? As its an exclusive deal o2 can do whatever they want... You'll be locked forever in some contract & in a year or so time the iphone2 will be out.. then what? cry maybe?
    i'm waiting for the iphone2 and hopefully it'll be across all networks and it'll be free.

i h8 exclusives.. it just means we pay more :mad:
    open the market and let us have the choise please.. iphone on t-mobile or orange plz..

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Hahahahahahaha....
    lost in translation?

11. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

I'm quite happy with O2, I was on their network all my life until my current mobile was Vodafone exclusive, and I was really happy with them. And come on, 28 months and £50 a month? No-one would buy it. Yes, they can charge a bit more i.e. 24 month contract, but they can't go overboard or they wont get any customers. Plus, it seems Apple are pulling the strings.

12. sananda macrumors 68020

if the american experience is anything to go by, it's not going to work out like buying any other handset. it won't be subsidised. apple will set the price at which it will be sold; o2 (or whoever gets it) won't be able to do whatever they want. even it were on multiple networks the price would be the same.

13. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Well I'll probably be working (just around the corner), so I'll do an hours overtime and nip round :)
    If I see anyone w. macrumors or whatever, I'll probably collapse.

:D

14. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Hahah! Damn, that's it, I'm making a custom MacRumours t-shirt now! :D

15. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

little OT, but how much do we think iPhone AppleCare will be? If I'm keeping it for its 24 months then its a must buy for me!

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

It is really simple. If you are happy with your current phone, then just get an iPod touch. Remember as well that when the iPhone comes to Europe, it will be locked to an operator and will require data plans (which might be unncessary for some, expensive for others).

17. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Like myself.
    Although, I'm a PAYG customer, only had 1 contract and went over-the-top.
    Applecare is a good idea, shame it's alot though.

18. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

I know the feeling, although, I tend to buy my AppleCare just as my 1 year warranty is running out, to give it more time, or when the AppleCare phone people offer it to me for cheap because I've phoned up crying and a wreck.

The Apple Store US is charging $69, so seeing as they charge $59 for iPod and we get it for £39 for iPod, I would guess at £49. Pretty good for the full 2 year coverage.

19. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I need a new phone and I really want to switch networks (Im on tescos, I needed a normal cheapish phone for me to use until I can get the iPhone) but I don't need a new iPod so I'm fine here just waiting for my iPhone...

20. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I`d definitely wait until there`s some announcement for iPhone UK launch.

Hell. I`m waiting till it reaches India(which means atleast until 2008 or maybe never).

21. amanmahal macrumors newbie

Lame?

What's the point of queueing? It sounds like some people want to be cool by aligning themselves with a 'cool' logo. "Oh look, i have an apple, so i'm not a nerd." Yeah, whatever.

I'm practical with my choices.

Had an ipod mini for years now. Time to upgrade so I'll get an ipod touch. Got a decent samsung x820 phone with 13 months to go. Maybe when it's due for renewal (and if I'm liking the iTouch), i'll get an iphone.

I don't expect to have to ever tell this to any of my mates.

Take care. x

22. amanmahal macrumors newbie

Sorry.

Sorry. Bit angry about life (had a mate that died tonight aged 25) so decided to take it out on a random group of apple fans.

My apologies.

Regards.