UK iPhone users - Simplicity and what not.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shrewd, Jul 25, 2010.

1. shrewd macrumors member

Apologies if this has been discussed before (I didn't have much luck with the search feature.

I am about to come to the end of my first year on PAYG with o2. I have a 3GS and basically now want the cheapest tariff I can find. I'm not a heavy texter (300 is more than enough) and I don't make many calls but obviously I want the internet. 500mb should be fine.

Ideally I want to stay with o2, so my main query is does anybody know if the standard simplicity will work in the iPhone, rather than the designated simplicity for iPhone, obviously because the standard one is cheaper.

And if not simplicity, is there anything else I can do cheaply on a PAYG basis?

Help will be much appreciated.

2. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

How about ordering a giffgaff sim card? They use the o2 network and for £10 'goodybag' a month you get 100 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data.

Even better is the goodybags are half price this month and you can buy two at a time so £10 will see you covered until the end of September!

Check them out www.giffgaff.com

3. WillLewis macrumors newbie

I went into O2 and asked about switching to a Simplicity tariff for the iPhone 4 that I am going get as soon as Apple have them in stock, so she showed me the iPhone Simplicity tariffs, I asked about the regular Simplicity Tariffs and she said that I have to be on an iPhone Simplicity for the data. I know that you can get bolt ons for data on the regular Simplicity tariffs, but she didn't say anything about that..

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a regular Simplicity tariff with a data bolt on though, but I didn't ask about it, as I was quite happy with the iPhone Simplicity tariffs available..

4. Caolan96 macrumors regular

I'm on 25 a month iPhone simplicity, works fine, but o2 are a load of wankers.

5. shrewd thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the replies.

I hadn't heard of giffgaff before but it certainly looks very good and after a bit of google research, seems to be legit and sound.

MyRomeo, do you know (or anybody else) if the phone has to be unlocked for this to work?

6. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

The network uses the O2 network so it works (Similar to how Tesco uses it and any O2 phones work), infact it will show O2-UK on the network display.

As for normal Simplicity, I was on it for 2 years before I jumped onto the iPhone Simplicity - it works fine except you do not get Wifi access to the Cloud, and No Visual Voicemail, which are minor points if you are saving money.

7. shrewd thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that Pushkar.

a. Out of interest, why did you change to the iPhone simplicity?

b. Does the standard simplicity allow me to browse on home/private wifi, or does it just exclude wifi altogether?

c. Will the giffgaff give me access to wifi, either private or public.

I am willing to sacrifice wifi as my 3G is fairly good if it means saving £5/£10 a month.

8. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

You can always use your own wifi or free hotspots in MacDonalds and so on. The bundled wifi on some tariffs is The Cloud/BT Openzone which you find in various places in towns and cities.

9. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

I'm with O2 PAYG. I just bought the iPhone unlocked. Got a new Simplicity sim and transfered to the micro sim. Im on 100 mins + unlimited texts + 500mb web. does me fine, no problems. However I'm interested to try GiffGaff out :)

10. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I believe that an o2 locked iPhone will work on giffgaff. Can't say for certain but they are recognised as o2 so should be ok

Regarding wifi, if it's free public access ya can access it without a sim card, same as if were ya own broadband. Don't think giffgaff give ya free public hotspot bit to be honest in 3 years of iPhone ownership I've never used this feature yet!

11. shrewd thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Looks like the phone has to be unlocked to work with giffgaff having read their site.

I'm tempted to go for the standard 1 month simplicity with o2, but just need to be sure it will work in the iPhone. Can anybody confirm this for sure?

I know Pushkar mentioned he was on it but it maybe the rules have changed and may not work for any new customers signing up.

12. mrmicp macrumors member

I went with the £20 iPhone simplicity plan on 12 months contract, you get 600mins, free texts and unlimited data BUT I also went through the topcashback website and got £100 cashback. So in affect my monthly bill works out at £11.666667p.

Might be worth a look??

13. DemonJim macrumors newbie

DemonJim

Take a look at O2's "Text and Web" pay and go tariff - for only £10 a month top up you get 300 texts and 500MB of data, great if you don't make many calls but need Internet and lots of texts. Cheapest iPhone option I could find on all the networks.

Site is down at the moment but should be here: http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/paygo

14. JadedBen macrumors regular

I used the same Simplicity sim in my 3G then 3GS for the 2 years of ownership, i then cut it down and used that to activate and use my i4 for a few days whilst i waited for my Vodafone sim to arrive.

Any O2 sim will work in the iPhone if it's locked to O2.