UK iphone4 How to tell if unlocked without swapping sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macminor, Aug 20, 2010.

1. macminor macrumors newbie

Hey folks.

I have a new iphone 4 which was provided as part of a new business contract through a telecoms company not Orange. The Orange sim came separately. However the 3g web access is painfully bad as compared to my old 3gs iphone on T-mobile. It's pretty much useless in most parts of London.

Which brings me to my question. Is there any way of telling if my new iphone4 is unlocked without having to buy a new mini sim card? Any way of checking through the firmware or something?

I was seriously thinking there was something wrong with my phone but all my colleagues on Orange also have the same problem. We were out on a course yesterday and I had my old 3gs whilst everyone else had their new iphone4 and I was the only one able to access mail and use the web the whole way there on the train and at the actual centre itself, which a lot of my colleagues were none to pleased about. I presume it's Orange being a bit rubbish and not the new iphone4 having a weaker signal reception?

Thanks guys.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I believe the general consensus is if it's from a network it's gonna be locked if it comes from an apple store it's going to be factory unlocked. Only way to tell if it is unlocked is swapping sims, if it's locked your only option would be jailbreak and install ultrasn0w but being a business phone doubt you would be allowed to do that.

but the last 2 days orange have had issues with the data service (rang 150 with automated message about the issue) resulting in no data connection but all seems to be working fine now.... well atleast for me anyways

3. macminor thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks, maybe i'll try cutting an old payg sim card down as see what happens.
    So i take it that other than the last couple of days your iphone4 has been working fine on orange? Have you ever used any other uk operators for comparison?

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh I noticed wednesday my phone kept saying cannot activate data connection an when I rang 150 an chose the options for not being able to use phone to make calls they had an automated message saying they having issues with gprs an people will face issues sending and receiving emails and accessing the internet and that they are working to fix the issue. Was still having issues on an off yesterday but today seems fine.

I have had other operators in the past (O2 and Vodafone) but I been with orange about 5 years now so I cant even remember what it was like with the others.

5. macminor thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, does sound like a one off then.

did you have a 3gs as well? Did you notice any difference between the data reception on the 4g and 3gs?

Thanks again.