UK IT Professionals

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by r3dm4lcz, Jul 4, 2012.

1. r3dm4lcz macrumors member

This thread is aimed at any IT Professionals based within the UK here on MacRumors.

I'm fortunate enough to have been recruited onto a graduate scheme immediately after graduating back in 2011. I recently took an examination which was administered by the British Computer Society (BCS) and they've offered me a free 12-month membership to the society. After researching a little more, I discovered the possibility of being a 'Chartered IT Professional' which reminded me of similar qualification for accountants and the like.

Obviously I haven't acquired enough experience to be considered for such a title however I was interested in hearing people who have an opinion on how useful it is. Are you apart of the BCS? Are you a person with the aforementioned title and has it been beneficial to your career? Or do you discard the whole thing completely?

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

No
    No
    Yes

I've been employed doing professional IT stuff over an 18 year period by multiple large companies and have never considered or been asked about BCS membership.

I've also interviewed and hired a lot of people during my time, and I don't recall a significant percentage of BCS members. I'm not aware of the grading structure within BCS and I don't think that membership would sway my opinion if I interviewed someone who had it.

In short I don't believe the BCS is of any relevance to the UK IT industry.