UK iTunes gift card in America?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ifjake, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in buying a few songs that have only been released in the UK. I'm in the US. Since I don't have a UK address credit card, my thought was to somehow import a UK iTunes Gift Card, switch to the UK store, use the card and get it from the US. Would that actually work?

2. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

I believe it does.

While I've never tried it myself, there seems to be quite the grey market for prepaid itunes cards.

As far as I'm aware it all goes into your standard library regardless of which store it was purchased from.

3. ramases macrumors member

Yes, it would. I do it the other way around for some TV shows that aren't in the UK. You would need another iTunes account though, one with a UK address etc, just google a hotel in the uk and use theirs. Then switch to that account, redeem your itunes voucher and spend as required. You will need to authorise your computer as per normal to play the songs. I believe the issue would be getting the itunes voucher. You can buy them off ebay, but you need to be careful, a number of folk have reported issues whereby the vouchers have been purchased with cloned credit cards etc.

4. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool thanks. Does the UK not have DRM-free iTunes plus tracks? If anyone from the UK would be willing to purchase a gift card and somehow get it to me, feel free to PM me. I'd like to avoid the darker part of the greyness if that's possible.

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The UK does indeed have all iTunes Plus DRM-free music. I suspect Ramases is getting TV Shows/Movies (which are DRMd) and music (which isn't any more) confused..

6. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I assumed that TV shows will never not have DRM and that's what Ramases was referring to, I just wasn't sure on the state of DRM-free iTunes Plus "abroad." Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)