UK, letting out a room - Any advice?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by combatcolin, Aug 7, 2008.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Just me now living in a biggish 3 bed semi detached.

Thinking a letting a room out, asked my friends who are still single and living at home but most seem to like it with mum and dad even into there late 20's!

Anyone had any similar experience or advice, been interested in getting a lodger for a while, but the idea of a complete stranger living in your own home is a bit scary to say the least.

Thanks all.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

For the first few years that I owned my flat I rented out spare room to help make ends meet. I got lucky: 1st guy was nice, then rented it out to a friends sister. Make sure you both know the boundaries and have enough personal space. Be clear what you are offering, especially when of comes to insurance etc. Be clear what your responsibilities are (gas testing etc). Be aware that you may also need to tell your mortgage lender. Also check out the Inland Revenue rent-a-room scheme: the income may well be tax free:)

3. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

yeah give it to me:) then we can share clothes, and aftershave then i can get my haircut like yours:D then i can get us a dog and when it runs to you instead of me i will push it out of the window!.....:(

4. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

OK, that sounds dangerously close to Single White Female, which along with Pacific Heights are enough to scare anyone off renting a room out.