UK : Little Bit of Guidance on Return / Replacement Needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onemacmini, Jul 3, 2010.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Right,

I have an iPhone 4 which is lovely until i answer a call and then it gets drop. 9/10 times.

i have a genius session tomorrow to replace it, as apple reckons it might be a faulty phone.

If i get a replacement tomorrow, and the problem continues, can i take it back to the phones4u shop and get my money back? Also i need to transfer my number to another sim if this is the case.

I look forward to your helpful replies.

Onemacmini

2. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Here in the uk we have a law that states that if goods do not live up to standard/quality you can get a full refund.
    I'm pretty sure that will apply in this situation.

3. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

May be not a refund, but certainly a brand new replacement within the first 28 days.

4. brightlights macrumors regular

No, it's a full refund. If it's faulty then under consumer protection legislation in the UK you are covered.

5. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Found this good fact sheet about the sales of goods act:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives....whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html
    may help with getting your money back if anything goes wrong.

You are technically able to get your money back up too 6 years after a purchase, this ovbiosly varies from product to product, and would be extremely hard to do.

6. brightlights macrumors regular

On the 6 year thing, it's not always as hard as it seems. I managed to get my Xbox RROD repaired outside the 3 year warranty because of this.

7. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

You know what, I never even thought of using it for something like that. Seems so ovbious now, the xbox was sold with a fault and didn't live up to standard.
    I do love how much we are protected while purchasing goods in this country.

8. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

There may be a slight problem, on the back of my contract it says:

"Faulty Apple iPhones connected to the Vodafone Network

please contat vodafone customer services etc etc. Please note that phones4u are unable to exchange Apple iPhones on Vodafone After purchase."

Surely this violates my rights?

9. ACDeag macrumors regular

The retailer is jointly liable with the manufacturer. In fact I would have thought you had no contractual relationship with Vodafone for the handset, just for the airtime.

10. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Yes but after 6 months it's down for you the consumer to prove to the retailer that what you are seeing is a manufacturing fault. Pretty easy to do with a xbox but sometimes you need a engineers report, this is known as the Burden of Proof and a retailer can legally ask you to provide it or they don't have to help you.

Also after 6 months it's the retailers decision how they put you back in the position you were before it broke. They can either offer a full or partial refund, a like for like product or a repair and the consumer doesn't really have a say in which at this point.

At work if somethings not repairable for what ever reason we always offer a like for like exchange. If the consumer is not happy with this BAM! they get the partial refund and at that stage it is not a debate as they have rejected our first solution.

Anyway, sorry for that guys but I would always suggest speaking to Consumer Direct. They are impartial and retailers use them too to clarify the law. I'd phone them and ask, they are good, used them many times in my job.

11. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

With mobile phones, especially if they are on contract, you get 28 days to return if faulty

12. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that if the network was not at fault then you could only get a replacement on the handset and not a refund. You've signed a contract with the network and they're providing an adequate service, their service is not faulty.

Though I could be wrong...

13. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

The reason I say this is I know o2 retail have a return policy but my wife bought a Nokia from Phones4U last year and it wouldnt work properly, facebook and what not wouldnt work - they bluntly refused her return saying they will offer her a replacement and the network is working fine.

I did manage, in the end to get a refund as the advisor mis-sold the contract, telling my it included 500mb data when it didn't.

Just hope it all goes well for you. My advice, stay away from Phones4U. o2 Retail and Apple both offer returns.