UK Mac people... power advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by epicwelshman, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a


    Apr 6, 2006
    Nassau, Bahamas
    :: Mods, i think this thread should be here, but if not just move it :) ::

    I have a question for all the UK people. I'm moving to London in a few weeks after spending the last 12 years in the Bahamas/Canada. My MacBook is obviously a US model. If I buy a UK magsafe power cord from Apple UK, is it as simple as plugging it in to my MacBook, or does the MacBook itself use different voltages? Also, would there be a risk in using a travel adapter instead of buying a new power cord?

    On a side note, I'm a British citizen. When I move to London what do I need to do to declare residency? Anything? How would I go about sorting out health insurance, social insurance, British ID etc.? Thanks!
  2. bartelby macrumors Core


    Jun 16, 2004
    The power adapters are universal, you'll just need the 3 pin plug bit.
  3. CortexRock macrumors 6502

    Dec 3, 2006
    Canterbury, England
    You might find a useful resource for pretty much all residency type stuff - particularly look out for Her Majesty's Revenues & Customs for national (health) insurance and tax codes etc. You don't need official ID at the moment, but you might want to apply for a UK driving licence and possibly a passport, too.

    Also, find out who your local authority (council) is, so you can register to vote (and pay council tax!) etc.

    Hope that helps...
  4. Cromulent macrumors 603


    Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Health insurance is not neccessary as we have the NHS although you could go private if you want (not really worth it unless you are likely to have to spend a lot of time in hospital). Social insurance? No idea what that is. I guess you might mean national insurance but that is taken off your wage automatically along with your taxes.

    No need for ID either (yet). Basically just move in and make sure you register to vote at your address and things like that.

    Edit : Heh, from reading the post above I never realised that national insurance was another name for health insurance. You learn something new everyday.

Share This Page