UK Mac Pro Memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FatGolfer, Nov 29, 2007.

1. FatGolfer macrumors member

Hello

I want to upgrade the RAM in my Mac Pro from 2GB to 6 GB so want to buy 4GB RAM.

I don't know much about the different specs but have found 4GB (labelled as) Mac Pro compatible RAM at Overclockers

Is this the right stuff? Is it the correct specification and a good make?

If not, where are the best placed to buy RAM for the Mac Pro from and which products from those places are compatible?

Thanks in advance for advice :)

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

3. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

As above.

As J@ffa said. Crucial.

I've bought a fair amount of memory over the years from them. Never had a single problem.

But DO follow the advisor tool.

5. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Crucial every time!

Apple told me that their ram is Crucial just with the :apple: logo.

6. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

7. Wheetman macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm waiting to buy my first Mac and have decided upon the Mac Pro. At the moment I am waiting to see what revisions, if any, are to be announced. This has given me time to consider my budget etc. One of the scariest elements of the Mac Pro is the cost of Apple's Ram sticks. I have also read cautionary notes about 3rd party manufacturer's RAM not having the same heatsinks and overloading the fan or causing it to run noisily, yet squirrel says that Apple use Crucial RAM under their own logo. J@ffa says that he has never had a problem with Crucial. Why then do Apple get away with charging such an extortionate amount for their RAM and does anybody buy it? Are there any implications under Apple's warranty if their own brand-name RAM is not used?

I can't see why anybody would buy from Apple if there really is no down side to buying from Cucial.

I'd be interested to learn of other Member's experiences of using non-Apple branded RAM in the MAC Pro.

Kindest regards.

8. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

I think Apple get away with such high prices for RAM because most folks do not understand the different technical specs (like me) of RAM so do not know what to look for from third party retailers. It is easier and safer to just go with Apple's offering than risk getting something incompatible and possibly damaging your Mac / RAM.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Hardware vendors (Apple, Dell, HP etc) will nearly always charge more for upgrades than you can buy them for yourself, business and many consumers prefer to buy everything from one source, even if it costs more. In the specific case of the Mac Pro, there is also the issue of memory prices being the same as they were at launch 15 months ago and FB-DIMMs have dropped alot in price since then. I think you will find most people on here have non-apple RAM in their computers with out issue.

10. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

11. Wheetman macrumors member

FatGolfer, I think you are right. you and me are clearly in the same boat and that is why this Forum is such a helpful repository of knowledge. Everything you guys say makes sense. Whilst waiting for your replies I've scanned the Crucial site from the link above and it seems that it is more likely than not that Crucial supplies Apple's RAM see the following link
    http://www.crucial.com/support/scoreboard.aspx

<Truth is, there is only one company in America that actually manufactures the DRAM chips, the memory printed circuit board, and then assembles them into memory modules — Micron and its memory upgrade division, Crucial Technology.> Now, I can't see SJ outsourcing when he can get what he needs in the US (It's not the American way:cool:)

So I guess I ought to thank you guys, as my visit here today will probably save me a small fortune.

Many thanks.

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

£94 for MBP 4GB, £176 for MP 4GB? Is that right? Don't suppose you can put MBP ram in the Mac Pro, huh... :(

Why the major price difference?

13. FatGolfer thread starter macrumors member

Completely different animals. The MBP takes fairly straight-forward non-ECC registered laptop RAM. The Mac Pro uses expensive fully ECC registered server RAM.

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Simple economics really. It's probably going to be around 8 million servers sold in 2007 and 2 million workstations compared to over 100 million laptops.

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Ah, makes sense I guess... broader market, lower prices