UK Mac Pro RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tom., Apr 10, 2008.

1. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

OK, so i am looking for some response from UK buyers for mac pro RAM Early 2K8, or anyone else who can shed some light.

Hoping to buy 8GB (4x2GB) FB-DIMM ECC (obv), and I still can't really afford crucial prices. I know of OWC and I am wondering what experiences people have had with them in the UK (shipping, delivery time etc)? Still any heat issues? Bad modules?

Are there any other sites that ship to the UK that i should be looking at, that can offer a competitive price?

I am also assuming its best to have the following configuration
    Riser A 2x2GB 2 x 1GB
    Riser B 2x2GB

(10GB total)

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Im in the UK and just got 8GB from OWC, couldnt be happier, all working well, though it possibly could be a bit of a pain shipping if it were DOA, you may even be charged the import tax twice. I guess even with that risk its still cheaper than getting it in the UK, just remember to add tax on top of the OWC price.

3. kwfl macrumors 6502

i ordered from owc
    i used fedex for shipping, i think it was for $23
    they shipped it on friday, monday morning, the fedex guy breaking my door.

two weeks latter, a letter with a lot of tax in it waiting to go out. it had to.

it is great so far, i have used it for an imac and a MBP for 5 months. no problems at all.

they only problem, was that they didnt accept my credit card and i had to use paypal to pay for it. (lost nothing doing that)

4. rob finch macrumors member

I ordered 2x2Gb from MusicStore in Germany. It was shipped quickly and has been flawless in operation.

Not sure if it works out cheaper than OWC, but it is an alternative worth considering.

5. colincarter macrumors member

Just bought 16Gb from a company called macramdirect for my new 2008 octa core mac pro

www.macramdirect.com

$810 incl shipping to the UK. Arrived in 3 days no VAT or import duty to pay.

Full Apple certified memory

Highly delighted with the memory.

Give them a try, recommended

Colin

6. tom. thread starter macrumors 6502

tom.

How much import tax am I looking at on 8GB from OWC?

7. Leithen macrumors newbie

£52.41 if you choose the UPS delivery option. Very efficient phone call from UPS informing me my package was en route, would I like to pay the taxes now to make delivery simpler.

8. emeldahay macrumors member

OWC are great.

I have ordered form them before and had the usual charges to pay for import - still mighty cheaper than anything in this rip off country.

no dead memory and I think Ive had around 60 odd Gigs off them so far.

Just ordered 160GB for 10 of the new 2008 MPs I bought. The money you save is astounding.

I got another 10 2008 MPs to be ordered start of May so will need to place another memory order then.

If theres a cheaper and better place then I`d like to know...:D

9. StumpJumper macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm in exactly the same boat as the OP, looking at buying either 4Gb or 8Gb.

Someone on another thread said they were pleased with MemoryAmerica.com, who are currently selling RAM even cheaper than OWC (8Gb is $345.90 compared to OWC's $379.00).

In a different thread again, a couple of people said they didn't get charged import tax on their order from OWC as they chose "USPS" rather than either FedEx or UPS as their shipping method - I'd be interested to hear from anyone that can confirm this is true, or whether they were just extremely lucky! :D

10. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

16gb

Ordered 16GB from OWC using the fedex option cost? $800 + £87.64 VAT, no import duty. Took only 3 days to get here. Very very happy with it. Now the Mac Pro does'nt break a sweat with any application or multiples thereof!

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're going to get a bill for VAT Duty and brokerage soon. Brace yourself.

IMO: I'm not entirely happy with the vendor policies -- if they ship you faulty or incorrect RAM (in the US), they will not refund the shipping on return. That's one of my criteria for a reputable company, will they take responsibility for their products. (International shipping is another story, nobody I know of will cover warranty shipping international).

12. colincarter macrumors member

No I won't,

Parcelforce UK always charge you the VAT and import duty before they give you the goods, there was none to pay.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well, go and buy a lottery ticket then, you're lucky. It's incredible that they'd miss $110 or more in taxes.

Nobody else should expect to be as lucky.

14. peejack macrumors 6502a

You will ;)

15. badlight macrumors newbie

Bought 2x2Gb from Trans International for $198 after reading various recommendations in other threads

www.transintl.com

Delivered in less than a week through DHL for $36, I think. Heatsinks look identical to OEM version - I didn't get the pretty anodised sort shown on their website.

Working well so far, with temperatures just a couple of degrees C higher than originals. Suppose this is because they are in top slot above the Apple ones, or do 2Gb modules run hotter than 1Gb ones?

Still waiting for the tax bill....

16. colincarter macrumors member

No, if you read Macramdirects shipping information you will see that I wont.

17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

So if you can't afford it, why not get some now and some later? You'll see a performance gain (well, not a gain but you won't see the machine degrade under certain loads) both times and you won't stretch yourself beyond your means?

The only loss will be 2x shipping, but you never know, RAM might have dropped somewhat in the time, unless there's another earthquake/godzilla.

AppleMatt