UK MacBook keyboard impressions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by StuBeck, May 7, 2008.

1. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I am possibly buying a MacBook in a month, but I can buy either a UK or US for about the same price. Obviously the only difference between the two systems is the keyboard (well, and the power adaptor, but I have that covered.) My only real concern with a UK mac is the keyboard has a very small enter key, which seems hard to press. I'm used to either design, but it seems like the UK one is worse. Anyone who has a UK one, can you tell me how your experiences are with it? Thanks.

2. Julian91 macrumors newbie

Unless you press the extreme left of your normal enter key, it should be fine. I've just gotten used to mine, and it's not like there are really any keys close to it, the button is just smaller.

3. ascender macrumors 68000

We've got one of each in the house and I find the UK one easier actually because its higher/taller whereas the US one is wider, so the UK one is easier to hit. But my wife hasn't complained about her US one, so i guess you'd get used to either.

4. StuBeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks for the input. As it is, I usually press the top right of the key, so it should be fine. Good to hear its not an issue :)

5. tringo macrumors regular

I am from Canada but bought my Macbook in the UK. I haven't had any problems, it feels fine. The only thing I noticed was the small shift key on the left side, because the European one has that crazy Spanish ~~~

6. Julian91 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, why do people buy their macbooks in the UK when you guys can get them in the US? Aren't they much much cheaper over there?

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Holy god that's weird.

Got the same first name as I.

I don't really think it makes much of a difference though.
    Unless they're putting the price into exchange rates.

8. StuBeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Because getting them in the US is hard for those in the UK, that whole ocean and all ;)

Its actually cheaper for me to get it in the UK. With the student discount I pay £713 for a 2.4 MacBook (basically $1426, and includes applecare for free.) In the US its $1200, then I have to get applecare for $189, and then you have to add tax to it of 8 percent.

I also get the correct power connector by default here as well, where if I bought it in the states I would have to buy a converter for the end.

9. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

How does Apple care work out free at £713 for the macbook? , sorry , maybe I'm tired ( probable) could you explain please .?

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

University staff / student discount. Includes free Applecare for 3 years. Don't USA HE students get that too?

11. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'm in the UK at the moment and my partner is in higher education , we have been looking at the discounts available to students but have not seen the free Applecare .

link ?

12. StuBeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, they don't get it.

Its on apples HE website, just look for yourself.

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

that is only available from an institutions network and she is studying with the Open University ( children to look after ! )

Is it not available any other way at all ? , I'm not scamming here btw , I just thought that was a great offer and seeing as my partner is in higher education then she should be entitled , no ? ......

14. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

And in Apple stores. I went with a friend to Regent Street, and he got the top white macbook plus free 3 year Apple Care plus HE discount plus free alu wireless keyboard on showing his NUS card and student ID.

Dont think OU is in NUS but a student ID card or formal letter of acceptance plus ID would do.

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

thank you , much appreciated :)

I think I will call Apple about this ( Apple store is a way away)

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

eh dont expect the free keyboard - we were lucky to get that thrown in - but all the rest is standard.

17. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

nah ,I wasn't expecting a free keyboard at all ?!

Just good to find out about the discount and Apple care that Apple gives to H.E students as opposed to the standard student discount ....
    .... thanks :)

18. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Out of curiosity mate, how did you persuade the staff to give you the free keyboard?

Three of my cousins are all starting university this autumn and as soon as the (hopefully) redesigned MacBooks are released I'll be buying them all one as gifts using their education discount. Getting a free keyboard or something similar would be a nice added bonus! :D

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have to say the only keyboard issue I have had with the enter button is I keep pressing the delete key occaisionally as I am used to a regular size keyboard with a pc. some of the layout was a bit awkward to grasp at first with the @ being where 2 is and a few other re-arrangements but you soon pick it all up.

20. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

We'd just paid for the macbook, and we started chatting about buying the wireless keyboard as well. My friend was worried about how it felt, and asked to try one out. They didn't have any wireless models on display, so the sales guy who we'd just paid said don't worry about it and chucked one in our bag.:cool:

The large HE discount also applies to keyboards too btw, so if you cant get a free one, at least you're getting a fair bit off.

Back on topic, I used to run a powerbook, (and before that, a Thinkpad) and I was worried what I would think of the macbook keyboard. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I love it. I got the powerbook out again recently, and couldn't type properly on it.

I love the macbook keyboard now.

21. gtimark macrumors member

Out of idle curiosity, I don't suppose anyone could post a pic of the UK keyboard?? Thanks in advance to any takers!! :)

22. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

[​IMG]

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

All MagSafe powerbrick are auto-switching throughout the world, it's voltage input is from 100~240VAC, the only thing you need is a 3 prong adaptor for the UK, alternatively a shaver adapter will do just fine.

Actually, the student discount applies to any APPLE branded product including both hardware and software though there are some rules as to what percentage you get off.. (with the exception of the iPod series).

24. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I have no problems with the uk keyboard. I didn't even know there was difference!

25. StuBeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I know, but not having to have a converter for the lifetime of the adaptor would be nice.