Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tijuanamiguel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Hi. I am 17 and looking to buy a macbook pro. I dont have all the money right now, but i do get enough per month in order to pay monthly over a period of at least 12 months. i think 10 months would be too tight...

i would get it from apple, but i'm under 23 and my mum is already paying for stuff from apple, and she's had trouble with mbna before so...

anyway, i have searched without many good results, but what online shops sell macbook pros and have the financing/alternative direct debit monthly payment methods?

Remember i'm looking for UK stores

Thanks

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i don't know the answer to your question, but could i ask you some questions? it's not my business but i see you're only 17 and your mother is still paying off some equipment so it doesn't seem to me a great idea for you to be buying on credit, so is it possible you could save up instead of borrowing? could you wait 12 months?

tijuanamiguel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
i understand your point, but i've now got a job paying £100/week. i also have an income of £120 per month from EMA. even if i cant set it up on my behalf, i can get my mum to set it up and i'll just give her the money each month. the money isnt the problem... time however, is. i have a final major project coming up at college and i'd like to make the best possible project. its 3d animation etc, the mbp would render faster and perform better than the machine i have at the moment.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i don't want to lecture you or talk down to you, but if you qualify for EMA then your mum isn't very well off. even though you could afford to give her the money at the moment, in the circumstances it's a lot of risk for your mother to take on. does your college have a computers you could use which would be suitable for your work?

tijuanamiguel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2007
no really, its fine. i'll be using 3d software that the college doesn't have or could handle. furthermore, my teacher thinks its a good investment for my career, as i'll be going on to do 3d computer animation at university.

there definitely isn't a problem. i was doing fine for expenses just on EMA alone last year, but this year i've got an extra £400 per month because of my part time job. and that's just extra money that isn't _needed_ for expenses or whatever, which is why now i'm wanting to get a mbp because i'm in a position where i can afford it.

thanks for the concern and advice though, but really, does anyone know of such online shops? i know laptopsdirect.co.uk and mynewcheap.co.uk do this. i just wanted to know about any others.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
Hi there, sounds like you're desperate for a MBP.
Was just going to suggest that, if you do want a MBP right away and your only means of paying for it would be through a finance deal over 12 months, just try and pay it off in 3 months or at least as soon as possible. The least time taken to pay it off would obviously be the most sensible option because a)you would pay less interest and b)in 12 months you may not have that part time job. Seeing as you said you could get by on your EMA alone, I'm sure this would be pretty easy to do. So good luck and enjoy your new 

juxtaposer

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
no really, its fine. i'll be using 3d software that the college doesn't have or could handle. furthermore, my teacher thinks its a good investment for my career, as i'll be going on to do 3d computer animation at university.

there definitely isn't a problem. i was doing fine for expenses just on EMA alone last year, but this year i've got an extra £400 per month because of my part time job. and that's just extra money that isn't _needed_ for expenses or whatever, which is why now i'm wanting to get a mbp because i'm in a position where i can afford it.

thanks for the concern and advice though, but really, does anyone know of such online shops? i know laptopsdirect.co.uk and mynewcheap.co.uk do this. i just wanted to know about any others.

sounds like you have thought it through and discussed it with your teacher.

you're entitled to an educational discount from the apple store, so if you buy elsewhere you'll lose that. how about getting a student overdraft from your bank, buying from the apple store with the discount, and then paying off the overdraft over a few months.

juxtaposer

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
In A Field
sounds like you have thought it through and discussed it with your teacher.

you're entitled to an educational discount from the apple store, so if you buy elsewhere you'll lose that. how about getting a student overdraft from your bank, buying from the apple store with the discount, and then paying off the overdraft over a few months.

Probably the best available option, nice thinking ;)
And a student overdraft would get you a much lower rate of interest than any finance deals which could easily charge you an arm and three legs.

juxtaposer

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
He won;'t qualify for an overdraft (in any form) because he's only 17. Same goes for any other form of finance.

Whatever route he goes with, it will have to be in his mothers name anyway.

Apple would probably be the best bet - especially if she already has finance with them (assuming payments have been made on time, and more than say 6 months have elapsed).

Edit: Mark beat me to it

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
apples online store policy for HP is 23 and older, god knows who came up with this but i seems designed to lock students out. Im coming up for 21 next month and still can't get HP form apple so i have to used dodgy software witch i replace bit by bit with legitimate software. Im also limited to this macbook and not the more capable macbook pro. Good luck to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.