UK Maps - no transport (london)

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by TwoBytes, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TwoBytes, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Well iOS 6 is not officially out but i'm running the GM and it has no transport options. London lives on transport so surprised Apple maps doesn't have this. Last i remember google even had TFL information on the next bus (same info on the scrollers at a bus stop). Currently Apple maps prompt you to go and buy something. I'd rather like google it would all be integrated..it's very unlike the apply way to not be all integrated but hey, it's free.

Another point is that the maps don't zoom in enough.

For a first go at a mapping product, apple have had a really good go. Hope to see this improve!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you noticed any significant improvement in Siri functionality under 6?

3. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Might want to keep that topic to another thread but yes i have :cool:

4. Astcooper macrumors newbie

I agree I was surprised to see the maps app kick me out to the store. I was under the impression from the WWDC keynote that 3rd party apps would provide public transport information through the maps interface rather than aside from it.

Time to improve I guess but it would be nice to eventually see a tube line layer to London for example.

5. throys macrumors 6502

I think it's work in progress. Google has years to get where they are and apple just started it so time is of essence.

6. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

These are not Apple's maps, but TomTom's and some other providers. They should be accurate and include POIs that TomTom and others such as Yelp have in their databases.

7. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Though they are tomtom's maps, Apple could integrate tfl search data into the maps for bus information.

8. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

What we're experiencing is that no transit apps right now use any of the new transit APIs that register the app as a transit app and pass your route information from Maps.app to your desired transit app. That's why it kicks you to the App Store even if you already have a transit app installed.

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Sounds like this maps will be all flashy, fancy etc, and lacking the same functionality google maps had.

I think I will keep using tomtom on mine.

10. cinek macrumors 6502

looks like UK is losing out yet again, time to find a new phone - not planning on waiting a year to get the services which we should get straight away (e.g. siri)

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yep apple maps in the UK is utter crap, I tried finding a church for a christening I gave name of church, the road and post code apple said noooo so jumped on google maps website and bingo found it.... amazing how such a simple things is over looked is a joke

12. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Apple maps loads some bus apps that were just updated, but as said, not all integrated, more apps to have and all that

13. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Funnily enough, as a UK user I've never used any "transport" options on the default (Google) maps app in iOS?

I live in Nottingham, and the local bus company, Nottingham City Transport, has an excellent iOS app that lets you search bus routes, find buses, plan journeys, and - best of all - has a "live" service to show when the next buses will arrive at a designated bus stop.

I use it frequently when travelling round the city by bus.

14. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

In London, public transport is a must...even if you drive a car! No disrespect to Nottingham as it's a great place but London is like a ratrace country in itself!

15. cinek macrumors 6502

why have 1 app that can do 10 things, it's better to have 10 separate apps right? Wrong!

exactly

16. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Install 'Embark' London edition and you are all set!

17. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

my favourite two are

Busmapper
    citymapper (cost of journey and comparison of other methods/distance/etc)

18. naltst* macrumors member

citymapper gives me directions if i ask for them in the maps app.

seems they're using the APIs fine but the app store isn't actively advertising them yet?

----------

Smaller apps (possibly even provided by the transport company) are far more likely to be able to keep up to date data on timings and locations etc than someone big like apple or google.

I like the idea of ask in maps and it sends you to the right app

19. Purant macrumors 6502

It's kind of weird right now, at places they are the same at TomTom and at other places they are the same as open street maps (I had that impression and I also saw another user here recognize streets he personally added in open street maps), but the end result of the maps *right now* seems to have significantly less data than either of those data sets, at least in countries other than the US. Which is weird to say the least.

Hopefully, post launch they'll start adding more data in a really fast pace. Otherwise I am completely at the mercy of whatever google decides to do for decent maps.

20. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

Try HopStop. It has London support, and it's free.

21. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

Every time I'm getting a bus (at least a few times each day), I use Bus London which is a great app - you could just use TFL's countdown website, but I prefer using an app (uses the same data from the website anyway).