UK MBP in New York

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apple Architect, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Apple Architect macrumors regular

All,

I am heading to New York City for a business trip in november and will be looking to pick up a MBP while there (due to the fantastic exchange rate). Of course the big issue will be the keyboard.

Has anyone experience of getting a store to order a specific MBP config for later collection.

Will they even do this for me ?

2. pianos101 macrumors regular

Fantastic for you, not for us. :) Anyway, from what I understand you can only "buy" a system from a store that they actually have in stock (which here would be the US layout). Anything else is CTO and is shipped to you; unless you'll be stateside for a while and can get it shipped to your hotel, I don't think it'll work... good luck though

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

friend of mine asked his local apple store if he could order BTO at the store and then have it delivered to the store for him to pick up.....they said no

4. Dante Cubit macrumors newbie

I am from the UK and bought a MBP in New York last week (with a US keyboard). To be perfectly honest, it really is not an issue and I wouldn't bother going to lots of effort to find a UK one (unless you have some particular need we don't know about). Just spend your time eating pizza in Brooklyn.

5. ascender macrumors 68000

We bought an iBook over there a few years back and the keyboard really isn't an issue.

6. AndyM macrumors member

Last October i went to New York and brought a macbook. I don't notice a problem with the keyboard, its only the @ and " keys. Very minor. Well worth it for the exchange rate.

7. cervaro macrumors regular

You could always buy an external keyboard back in the UK if it's an issue, or if you'd prefer an external keyboard. I'm getting external model as I plan on running my soon to be purchased MBP through an external monitor whilst at home.