UK members - BT Homehub & Airport Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by appledrone, Jan 22, 2009.

1. appledrone macrumors regular

Hi, I am hoping someone on here can help, I have a BT homehub and an airport express unit. I want to have the airport unit behind my printer to use the wireless printing function, Does anyone know how i can create a network where my macs will connect to the airport unit (thus giving wireless printing) and still get an internet connection from the homehub. I have an ethernet cable which i can use to connect the hub to to the ae unit if needs be.

Can anyone help????:confused::confused:

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

The easiest thing to do is wire your homehub to the express and connect the computers to the express wireless network for internet and printing.

I do this with my Orange LiveBox and Time Capsule.

3. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

i have tried this but dont get an internet connection, which options do i use?

create new/extend range etc??

thanks for replying btw:)

4. alexramsay macrumors newbie

printing with airport express and homehub

Dead easy - go to your Airport Utility (you may need to make a temporary change from your BT Homehub option to Airport Express in the menu bar) and go through the 'change' settings until you get to a page with 3 options. Go for the third option which lets you effectively switch off airport express. Then go back to the menu bar and reselect BT Homehub, and voila - you will be able to print through your Airport connection.

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Of course this works the other way around. I use the Airport Express to create the network and just use the Home Hub as an ethernet router (with Wireless disabled).

6. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Orange Livebox & Apple Airport Express

Hi all,

I've been looking over the Internet for a few hours and occasionally I find a lead, but then it leads me to more confusion & dead-ends. So.

We have an Orange Livebox with Orange Broadband (sadly) but where I am in the house the connection drops a fair bit. So, is it possible to just get the Apple Airport Express for £70 or whatever it is and extend the Wireless Range? With no wires. So I'll basically put the Airport Express in the middle of me and the Livebox.

If not, how about the Base Station? Could that replace my Livebox? OR would I plug the Base Station INTO the Livebox and then get the Express?
    (I'd also like the use the audio option on the express you see..)

I don't fully understand how to do it...

Thanks a lot!
    Kirk.