UK mobile broadband advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drummerlondonw3, Oct 28, 2008.

1. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Hi,

I have recently taken voluntary redundancy and as part of a treat to myself got myself a SSD MacBook Air :D:D

I have recently started taking my MBA to my local coffee shop as I am working on writing a paper at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience (in the UK) of using mobile broadband with the MBA (or any Macs for that matter).

At the moment I am leaning towards the virgin mobile package for £15 per month and 3GB cap.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

D:apple:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, if your primary usage is in coffee shops and alike, don't most have WiFi?

3. mattmartincouk macrumors newbie

I personally have a Vodafone MBB service.

However, I did have T-Mobile. Although they have a limit per month - its fair use. They do allow you to go over without extra charge (unlike Vodafone etc) but they may slow the service down or ask you to upgrade.

£10 a month for the first three months currently

Vodafone have £100 cash back on QuidCo. (with free dongle on 12 months contract).

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't know if there is any way that NetShare will return to the App Store, or if it can be hacked in, but if you have an iPhone, NetShare works great with the MBA. In fact, I am posting this from class using that exact setup.

5. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Dont get 3.

Me and my housemate have mobile broadband. I owe Vodafone and he does 3. There is huge speed difference btw 2 since 3 supports up to 3 sth mbs where Vodafone's speed is 7.2 .

T-mobile might be also a good option since you can use its cloud network where available.

6. drummerlondonw3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

netdog - to be honest I had forgotten that I even had the app, I got it when it came back on but I could never get it to work on my MBP but I went and tried it on my MBA and it has worked! Thanks for the heads up, I am now replying to this in starbucks!

have you had any problems with O2 about this? How much do you use this set up?

thanks

d:apple:

7. ukMB macrumors member

I live on the Isle Of Wight and can only get 3G reception on my 3G iPhone in about one place (not even the main town!) Is there any providers that do have 3G in the Isle Of Wight.
    Thanks

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

o2 ?