Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience buying something using the education discount on the online store. Particularly those from the UK.

I was considering asking my friend, who is at university, to buy me a Macbook Pro. I understand that he needs to do it from a networked computer at the university and this is no problem... but I was just wondering if there was anything I should be made aware of...

- Are any checks performed to double check the recipient is a student? Apart from needing to order it from a campus uni?

- What about the warranty, if say I need to take it into a Genius bar, the person behind the counter won't know that it's a student version will he? Will I need ID?

- Does OS X come with some sort of Student version?

I'm planning on asking him to order the laptop with my Apple ID. I hope this isn't a problem?

Thanks all, I'd appreciate any help, thoughts etc. Anyone done this before?

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
It is the same computer you would buy in store, except you get the HE discount. There is no student version of osx.
Apple care is tied to machine not buyer, it is a custom uplift. I.e if you buy apple acre you get 3yrs phone and hardware support. If you don't buy any apple care you just get hardware support.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Oh I see, thanks for the response.

I don't think I'm going to bother with Apple Care to be honest, the laptop is covered for the first year after I buy it anyway, and I can always pick up Apple Care at a later date if I'm desparate.

I was just worried they'd ask for some kind of ID, either when ordering, or if say, I need to take it in to get repaired etc

MacFanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2009
UK
Oh I see, thanks for the response.

I don't think I'm going to bother with Apple Care to be honest, the laptop is covered for the first year after I buy it anyway, and I can always pick up Apple Care at a later date if I'm desparate.

I was just worried they'd ask for some kind of ID, either when ordering, or if say, I need to take it in to get repaired etc

When you buy from the HE store, the apple actually comes with 3 years warranty as standard. The AppleCare uplift is just to add phone support so isn't really worth it.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Oh ok definitely not worth it then.

One other question, I'll be looking to get the free iPod touch. I understand that I need to pay for it first, then Apple will give me the money back at a later date. Will I need to show any student ID for this?

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
The AppleCare uplift is just to add phone support so isn't really worth it.

That is not entirely true!

The applecare uplift will also cover the machine if it goes abroad and the additional which is small at time of purchase and expensive if added later would probably significantly increase the sale value!

Another thing to consider is if your friend joins the student developer program you will get an even bigger discount off the mac

Also you can purchase mobileme and iworks etc cheaper at time of purchase

X3n0 AcId

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
I just bumped into this thread and have a question:
My cousin is about to buy the MacBook Pro for me with his student discount. So, i get 3 years warranty by default without buying the AppleCare?
If so, then this is AMAZING :D

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
I just bumped into this thread and have a question:
My cousin is about to buy the MacBook Pro for me with his student discount. So, i get 3 years warranty by default without buying the AppleCare?
If so, then this is AMAZING :D

Yes - sort of

Not actually apple care but hardware warranty - applecare upgrade is like £50

but check out the develop program

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
One last question, does anyone know if I need student ID to get the ipod rebate?

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
From the online store?

I thought you had to order the ipod online with the macbook, then apply for a rebate by post?

inmo

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
By the way, the student can buy only a laptop in each academic year (duration and limitation may be different according to the institution's HE contract).

Make sure that your friend doesn't need a mac sometime in this academic year.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Thanks for the tip.

He won't need one though, and anyway he's buying it in my name with my Apple ID

Markf11

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
does anyone know if the Apple Stores do any kind of student discount ? I'm looking to upgrade from a mb to a 13 or 15 mbp and was wondering if they give a bit more discount ? This is also asked because there's a store opening near me and i saw online that the HE store discount is 14% where as shops are 17% (and these aren't cheap machines)
Thanks for the clarification on the warranty, i bought mine nearly 2 years ago from the HE store and they were very easy to deal with. My order was there within a week, but the only issue i had was because i lived in University halls, my address on the label just said "court 2" never mind which apartment or even which room, so make sure someone is in for delivery I had to have my macbook repaired (just a simple "cracked case" issue), called apple, they gave me a number in Norwich (where i live) and 2 days later it was sorted.

Typical for Apple to stop the free ipod before student loans go in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.