UK: Need Virgin Broadband across the network? HELP!?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Dec 8, 2008.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Using BT in most of the house and it works fine, but there is a small network (no connection) connected that we want to connect to our Virgin Broadband modem.

It seems to work fine on the Mac that they installed it with, but I can't seem to address the modem directly through its IP address nor get DHCP addresses that work off it for other devices. Curiously, things like the AppleTV seem to believe that it has been assigned an address, but the address is both completely different to that on the connected iMac, and doesn't work (listing no DNS or router on the ATV network page).

Is there any way to address and configure these modems using a browser? It is connected via coax to the outside word. I can't find a model designation but it does say "Tradename: AMBIT" on the bottom. HELP! I'd like to get it handing out valid addresses or find a way to make it accept manually configured devices.

On a related note, the IP address of the router is, for example, 77.149.22.001, on a manually configured ATV, would that be 077.149.022.00x?

Also, allowing sharing over the Mac's connection doesn't seem to work either, though that may be down to not having wireless on the iMac, and connecting via Internet which is also the only practical port to switch it out on. It is connected through a dumb switch, but it didn't seem to work through a router with NAT to the modem either.

HELP!

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20)

If it's anything like the one I've got it won't serve dhcp addresses: to use it with multiple devices you need to plug it into a router

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

But when plugged through a router, the only device that still seems to work is the iMac that they originally hooked it up to. All other devices fail as described above. I can't even see an Apple Airport Express hanging off the same router via a scan. It's really bizarre, as if they installed a driver to work with Virgin that also hijacked the network somehow. EEK

Phil, do you have yours connected through a router and being accessed by more than one device? It's as if they set up this modem to only work with this Mac somehow.

4. cw2k7 macrumors member

You can't change the config of the modem.

To use Virgin across the network.

Setup the router to:
    Allocate internal ip addresses via DHCP (you normally get a choice of internal ip ranges 10.0.0.x or 192.168.1.x etc for your network)
    Obtain ISP settings via DHCP.

Once the router is setup and you have the network working internally connect the modem to the WAN port of the router and it should automatically pick up the external ip, dns etc settings from the modem and any device on the network should be able to access the net via it. (you may need to reboot the modem first before the router picks up te settings).

I use Virgin (ambit modem) -> airport extreme without any issues.

Sounds like your router is currently configured as a switch or the modem is not connected to the wan port of the router as the 77.xxx.xxx.xxx address is part of the virgin ip which suggests the modem has fallen back to fail safe mode and allocated ip addresses to you network via dhcp.