UK News App with Push

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by mdavenport, Nov 26, 2009.

1. mdavenport macrumors member

I have been using the Sky News app on my iphone I do like it, however I am after an app that pushes certain headlines to my iphone.

Is there anything available for this as I can't seem to find anything?

Thanks

2. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

You can use letmeknow to push any rss feed to your phone. For example, I have it pushing all Sky News articles from the LFC page. All Sky's pages have RSS so surely it can be tailored to fit your exact needs.

edit: oh, and it opens the webpage in the built in browser

3. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

I'm still dying for a really good news reader that isnt RSS...

i'd just love to choose a few websites, bbc, sky, sun, whatever, let it sync all the news and allow me to read it all without having to go to the main website to view the entire article...

you wouldnt think this is hard?! Even if scraping all this info was a chore, something that displays the top articles would suffice!

sky news app is reasonable if scant of articles...i'm surprised the BBC still havent something out there!

Maybe its me but i dont get RSS...sync articles, click on unread, read summary and then click to view and it just takes you to the main website anyway....whats the point?!

Unless its the websites i'm using lol...

4. mdavenport thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone used the Notifications app that works with the appnotifications.com web site?

How does this compare to LetMeKnow?

I like the look of LetMeKnow but would much sooner pay outright for an app rather than have to pay for inapp purchases..

5. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

You get 5 subscriptions for free and the sources are checked every 15 minutes. You can use the in app purchase if you require more sources or a faster checking time. Personally I think this is better than any one app as you can customize it to suit your interests

6. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I could never get the notifications app to work. I've tried about 3 of them so far. None are perfect but Letmeknow is clearly the better app.

7. dr34mc4st3r macrumors regular

dr34mc4st3r

im using the Notifications app (update coming soon according to dev). works really well and u can set any rss feed :D

only thing is how fast u get the push notifications depends when the rss feeds r updated. but hey, at least u can add/delete feeds anytime with no extra $$