Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
What news apps do UK users use? I'm interested to know what people think is best. I've been using the BBC News app for a while but don't find it that nice to use. I'm also not the biggest fan of the Apple News app either.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I perhaps should have added, was hoping for one without ads. I like Reuter app, but there's no option to pay to remove ads etc which annoys me.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I use Sky News, BBC, Reuters, AP, Bloomberg and a strange one called Ground. Ground is meant to provide news from sources close to the action,

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I used to use BBC & Sky but these days I just use the the Apple News app so get to see topics from various news outlets.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I used to use BBC & Sky but these days I just use the the Apple News app so get to see topics from various news outlets.
Have you spent time picking channels/topics in Apple News? I wonder if not having spent long enough doing this is why I didn't think I got on with it

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Have you spent time picking channels/topics in Apple News? I wonder if not having spent long enough doing this is why I didn't think I got on with it

I wouldn’t say I spent loads of time picking stuff, just searched a few news outlets and the things I’m most interested in.
A lot of stuff just pops up randomly on the news feed(swipe left to right on lock screen) and I have a look if it takes my fancy.

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
I perhaps should have added, was hoping for one without ads. I like Reuter app, but there's no option to pay to remove ads etc which annoys me.

I don't see any adverts. My iOS pop-up blocker, 1BlockerX, works a treat. When I am at home I have an ad-blocker, AB-Solution, running directly on my Asus router so all my connected devices benefit.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I don't see any adverts. My iOS pop-up blocker, 1BlockerX, works a treat. When I am at home I have an ad-blocker, AB-Solution, running directly on my Asus router so all my connected devices benefit.
Does an ad-blocker like that work in standalone apps then? I was under the impression it only affected Safari

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
I agree with you. But I don’t see any adverts. If they are there, I don’t notice them! So either way, I can still recommend the Mirror app.

The bet way for you to see it just to try it. You can always delete it.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Does that mean my interpretation is right, i.e. ad blockers don't block ads in third party apps?

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I just use Safari to access the BBC News website. I use Safari for pretty much everything, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Macrumors, etc. I don't see the need for separate Apps.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
BBC News (although i’m less a fan of it than I used to be and only use it out of habit now), The Guardian and Apple News. I find Apple news gets better the more you use it providing you take the time to tell it what you like and what you don’t.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
None as they are all crap & only offer their biased warped slanted view. It's 2018 and people should be a little more enlightened than just reading garbage from the likes of the BBC, Daily Mail, Sky News, Daily Mirror, Guardian etc.

Just go with a news reader like Newsify & choose your sources/interests. Apple News is quite good as well, just take what the likes of Sky, BBC etc report with a pinch of salt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.