Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Has anyone else here experienced bad 3G reception over last 12 hours?

Last night at home I was getting 1 bar when usually I get full reception. And this morning I'm only getting 2-3 bars at work. If I switch off 3G I get full reception on Edge.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
could be anything causing that
upgrades, problems, bad weather

edge and 3g are not on the same network, so will have different signal strength, dont worry about that

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Just realised my work phone a Nokia e61 also happens to be on O2. I'm getting full 3G reception on it.

Maybe I need to take it back to the Apple store, what's the process, do I have to book it in to see a Genius or whatever they call them?

could be anything causing that
upgrades, problems, bad weather

edge and 3g are not on the same network, so will have different signal strength, dont worry about that

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds a bit fishy, you tried turning 3g on/off and restarting the phone?

I wish I was lucky enough to even be in a 3g area :(

Ed

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Yes tried all that, and still lousy reception on 3G. I also swapped my SIM card into my work e61 and get full 3G reception. So I know it's not a SIM card issue.

This is annoying, the phone is only 5 days old. :rolleyes: Oh well I'll book it in for the weekend at my local Apple Store. I found out I can make an appointment online.

Sounds a bit fishy, you tried turning 3g on/off and restarting the phone?

I wish I was lucky enough to even be in a 3g area :(

Ed

gazzzmoly

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Yes tried all that, and still lousy reception on 3G. I also swapped my SIM card into my work e61 and get full 3G reception. So I know it's not a SIM card issue.

This is annoying, the phone is only 5 days old. :rolleyes: Oh well I'll book it in for the weekend at my local Apple Store. I found out I can make an appointment online.

There is nothing you can do i am the same and so are a lot of people the 3g software on the iphone is pants, if i put my iphone next to a 3g o2 phone the other phone as a lot better signal than mine. that to me is probably why the battery life isn't great either always trying to get a better signal. i bet they fix it with a software upgrade shortly

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
UK
Yes I'll bring my Nokia e61 with me so they can compare. I'm going to try and drop by there this evening as I will be near Regent Street.

I was getting 5 bars yesterday in the office, so while the software might be crap, it def seems like a hardware issue for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.