UK: o2 Contract without iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stegie, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Stegie macrumors newbie

Hi,

I believe this question is different than many others here. I live in the United States and will move the United Kingdom soon. As I'm not going to use AT&T anymore, is it possible to sign the contract at o2 without buying the iPhone?

iPhone is unlocked in case anybody asks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd have thought so, you could go to another network too if it is unlocked.

3. Stegie thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there another network which provides similar services? As far as I know only o2 offers EDGE in the United Kingdom and the price is fair enough after o2 upgraded their offer.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In fact Orange is the main network with EDGE in the UK.

5. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

6. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Why do you say that? I have been on both Orange and O2 and MUCH prefer O2!!!

I think it is all down to personal experience, and my personal experience is that O2 is excellent. Most of the people are know are on O2 and are all happy with the service, so I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them. As I say though, that is from my experience. I am sure there are plenty of people that would disagree with me, but surely that is the same with any company.

As for the OP's question, I am sure O2 give away the iPhone sim cards for free if you pop into a store and ask for one??? :cool:

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I guess it because i wasn't treated right lost £2000 with them as well. If you have to go O2 they do Sim Only packages now check them out, Orange do to as well but don't have the included data options.

Sims are all the same just are activated for the certain contract you take out.

8. m477h3w macrumors 6502

:eek: In that case I would hate them as well!!!!!!

9. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

O2 is the only network that i know of that doesn't help customers in situations like that. Orange for me is by far the best. Plus with Orange you have better signal at beach or rural areas (O2 can't do what orange can).

10. Stegie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your replies. According to o2, I'm able to sign a contract and add an internet option of Pound 7,50 and additional 7,50 for any Hot Spot of The Cloud Network. However, does Orange over something similar as I was not able to find anything on their website.

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

£7,500 (As in Thousands LoL) in UK it's £7.50 LoL

When taking out a contract they should have it as an option go through a random contract and see if it's an option.

12. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Yes - go to an O2 shop and ask for a postpay SIM card for an iPhone. Tell them you bought it off ebay or something - DO NOT mention its a US unlocked phone.

They will give you a unactivated iPhone SIM - all you have to do is connect to itunes (possibly restore) with the O2 SIM and it will take you to the activation page and you can sign up to an official iPhone contract!

Remember this will most likely only work on an unlocked phone - I do not know if it would work on a locked US phone as I am not sure if the SIM lock is locked ONLY to AT&T or any official iPhone network... not that it matters to you!

I have an IPSF unlocked US iphone and when I restored it recently with an O2 SIM in it I got the activation page! which is what you want!

With this method you can of course sign up to the £35pm contract with 600 mins and 500 texts and unlimited data which is cheaper than sticking a non-iphone activated SIM in the phone!

13. Stegie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your reply. I was looking for one of this solutions :)