UK: o2 EDGE Coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CD3660, Sep 20, 2007.

1. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Has anyone seen a coverage map of the UK showing the proposed (30%) coverage for EDGE at launch date?

If not, do we know which specific areas are included?

Also, does anyone know how far o2 is going to extend EDGE, if at all, beyond 30%?

2. Project macrumors 68020

Remember that its 30% land mass and not 30% of the population. So expect the cities to be covered and so forth.

3. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Do you mean look on their website?

If so, I can't find anything there at all.

4. smythey macrumors regular

The map on their website just says "standard" and "high quality", and some have said on other threads that this referes to UMTS and R99 coverage. EDGE doesnt get a mention anywhere on the maps, but its something they had better think about including information on, as people will want to know coverage in their area if thinking about an iphone.

Are you sure? I dont remember this being made explicit anywhere. Maybe I missed it...

5. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Totally agree, and the absence of it for much longer will raise my suspicions.

6. LCaller macrumors regular

The more concerning thing is that there seems no confirmation that it'll drop to gprs when EDGE isn't available.

Can anyone from the US confirm this ?

7. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Has to, hasn't it?

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I wouldn't expect any O2 EDGE coverage maps anytime soon. They're only just beginning to roll it out. Right now they probably have only about 10% coverage - on a map that wouldn't exactly look good. In a few weeks they'll probably have around 20% and come release time we'll have at least 30% coverage. I say at least because I'm sure EDGE coverage will increase rapidly. I believe its a far less major upgrade than going to 3G since its just a minor upgrade to the existing 2G hardware rather than a whole new piece of kit at each base station.

9. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I found a website that shows where and when O2 updated the EDGE connections.

For example the nearest O2 site was updated on the 26th October and is just outside Bristol Zoo. Sure enough the next day I went for a run outside the zoo and there was a brand new O2 cabinet on the side of the road.

Unfortunately I can't remember the website. :eek:

10. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Please try harder! :D

11. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden