UK O2 Insurance question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Jun 19, 2009.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

So O2 site now says:

Pay Monthly customers with O2 Insure can move their new Pay & Go iPhone 3G S onto their existing O2 Insure policy. Just give Customer Services a call within the first 3 days of purchase to let them know.

I have been told that my insurance will go up from £7.50 to £10.00.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct. The wording on the site implies it will just be transferred NOT a new, more expensive insurance...

Aaron

2. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I have been told multiple times if you put your contract sim in the PAYG 3G S you cannot insure the phone, it can only be insured using the PAYG sim.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think the price has generally increased to £10.00. Whilst you keep the same phone on the insurance they can't increase it but as soon as you put a different phone on they are entitled to charge you the new rate.

They are clearly allowing it because it's on their iPhone Page which specifically mentions this as an option

4. ttopp macrumors regular

i got told that today too...

you cant insure the phone if you buy PAYG and put your contract sim in.. i was like y no i thought it was the hardware i was insuring??? you can get insurance for both??? you cant use another sim in the insured phone

stupid rule...

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As the OP has said, they are allowing you to do this for the iPhone. I guess they're making it a special case and have it on their page as one of the ways to upgrade to the 3G S.
    It looks as if they haven't let all their staff know yet though which is why some of them are giving out bad information. If you have any problems getting the insurance transferred, just refer them to the page linked in the post a couple of posts above this one.

6. ttopp macrumors regular

I will phone them tomo then

7. sallythemac Guest

I have been told yes and no about 5 times today, ended with a 40 min call to o2 and the CS rep telling me the website was wrong. 2 mins after i put the phone down, i get an answer phone message saying they have just received info of the new insurance procedure and i could ring back to add it on. rang back, gave them the IMEI of my new phone and she said "it's insured". Paperwork in the next few working days.

Definitely worth another call to o2 quoting the website, if your interested in the offer of insurance.

8. ttopp macrumors regular

Bad info to staff

they tried to give me the PAYG iPhone without the sim card.. i was like wheres the sim???

he said cos your using the contract one you wont get it.. i was like no im buying a years free internet too i want the sim.. i had to pay £10 top up on the sim card too... CHEEK!!!

9. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

SallyMac...

Hey Sally,

Did you have to put your insurance up from £7.50 to £10.00?

Aaron

10. fireplace macrumors member

got mine added to the house insurance for a fiver a month, includes outside the house etc. direct line.

11. sallythemac Guest

Yes, but in fairness the increase has been well advertised on their website. Plus i have a 32GB now, which is worth considerably more than my 16GB 3G.

12. Sebby macrumors 6502a

When I took out O2 insurance for my 3G, it was £7.50/month. Soon after that, the price for new policies went up to £10.00. Whilst O2 are allowing those who buy the 3GS on PAYG to amend their policy, it seems they are using this as an excuse to move to the new price.

13. sallythemac Guest

I think it's fair to apply the price change at this juncture. You are amending your policy by changing what's being insured. With car insurance, if you bought a new car you would be subjected to possible premium increase depending on the new model and sometimes even an admin fee.

In my situation, upgrading from an iPhone 3G 16GB with a Play.com unlocked value of £600 to a iPhone 3G S 32GB with a Play.com unlocked value of £1000. An insurance premium increase from £7.50 to £10 seems fair.

14. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Although insuring via home insurance can seem tempting because it often costs less, you need to check what you're getting for your money. Household insurance often doesn't cover the cost of unauthorised calls if your phone is stolen, and that's usually a far bigger risk than losing the cost of handset itself. In fact, it can cost you many hundreds, or even thousands of pounds.

It's well worth spending a bit of time checking the terms of the insurance before you buy.

15. ttopp macrumors regular

phoned o2 got a great lady.

she sorted the insurance and said the sim mistake was dodgy...

Sweet :D insurance sorted