UK O2 iPad micro sim conversion success

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dlanod, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Right - had an activated O2 micro sim for my iPad which I'm not using - moved to VF, and a non activated O2 PAYG full size sim. So, checked the new PAYG worked but didn't add credits. Went through the online O2 conversion to Micro SIM process and after about 8 hours, PAYG full size sim stopped working and the Micro SIM now works in a standard handset with a convertor as a PAYG voice sim. I've topped it up and everything works. Apple have apparently said you can't use micro sims between iPad and iPhone 4 which is probably true - not interchangeable as in swap back and forward but the hardware is clearly the same. So you guys who have simplicity and an iPad micro sim, go for it. It should work.

Doesn't mean that O2 won't still zap the sim if they only want iPhone contracts in iPhone 4.

2. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

That's VERY interesting. Anyone else been successful?

3. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what all the fuss is with the micro-sim. You get one with the iPhone, put it in the iPhone, you connect to iTunes, enter your old sim number, and everything si tranfered to the micro...

Why are people concerned with getting one ahead of time?

4. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

You don't get a sim with the phone if you buy direct from Apple. That's what "sim-free" means.

6. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

You'd think that'd be self explanatory wouldn't ya?

7. Mattwood macrumors member

Mattwood

oh by the way the term SIM-free in the mobile word is used to describe a handset that isn't locked down or branded to a network so ANY SIM can be used :p. not that it ships with out a SIM. You are right that the iPhone doesn't come with a SIM card from Apple though.

O2 are sending Micro-SIM's to anyone who requested info from them about the iPhone 4 (they do state on website they can't guarantee everyone will receive one) or you can just request one from O2 customer care.

as previously pointed out there is a mechanism via initial activation with micro-SIM where you enter the ICCID and that transfers your account. http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

as for the iPad SIM thats interesting as both Apple and O2 state they can not be used in the iPhone.

8. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

O2 can't guarantee you'll get one in the post. Some stores have said that they'll only be handing them out for new contracts.

Hence this thread.

9. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

At the risk of sounding like I WANT A PONY AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

I've bought a sim free iPhone from apple direct
    I've registered with o2.
    o2 say on the page they MIGHT send out sims...
    I want to play with my phone on the day.

This could all be solved and o2 would get the business if they just had a webpage where you say 'i want an o2 sim, send me one 100% and we'll send it out today' and you could fill it in and get one.

Bingo....do we have such a thing? no...it's all very wishy washy and most people are left in the situation of giving the middle finger and going with the first operator to release a tariff and post a micro sim or going a bit blue peter with a knife

10. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

My iPad micro-sim has arrived this morning from O2.

I've tried switching my number over to it using the online form and it says the 19 digit serial number is incorrect.

The description on the sim is PAY&GO 3FF 3G USIM.

So it doesn't specify that it's for an iPad but maybe the fact that it's a PAYG sim is an issue?? I don't know.

At least I have something to compare to when I cut my sim up now! :-s

11. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

If it does come to cutting, I take it we just cut the old sim, stick it in the iPhone 4 and activate via iTunes and everything will be groovy?

12. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

In theory yes. Not sure how easy it is to kill the sim doing this.

I've ordered a replacement regular sim from O2 just in case I do screw it up.

13. Dlanod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Try activating it in your iPad first - mine worked but I had already activated it in the iPad. That might be the issue.