UK O2 iPhone Existing Customers Upgrading to 3G iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DenniZ, Jun 10, 2008.

1. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Right, I am a existing O2 customer with a £45 a month contract. Happily had my iPhone for 3-4 months now. With the release of the new iPhone 3G I have some questions. I believe I will be paying nothing to upgrade to the 8GB version and £60 for the 16GB. I am not worried about starting another 18 months contract as with this contract comes the great support of the Apple Store.

1. How will I actually get the new iPhone, through online stores such as o2.co.uk or the UK online apple store. Or would it be me actually going into a shop to get the iPhone and starting my activation process again. Also will they require me to do a credit check again or would it be quicker because I am a existing customer and I have already passed the credit check through my existing iPhone.

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I doubt they'll do a credit check again - they didn't do one if you were already an O2 customer when first signing up for the original iPhone.

You'll probably be able to buy it online, as you can sign a binding contract on the website before they post it to you.

Phazer

3. sneeks macrumors 6502a

You will not be subject to a new credit check if you already have a iPhone contract with o2, I discovered this when I upgraded to the iPhone last year.

It does not look like Apple Stores will be selling the iPhone in the UK and instead we'll need to buy from o2 or CPW. If upgrading a existing iPhone contract then o2, not sure yet if we can do this instore or only online.

4. wolfuk macrumors newbie

Hello

I have had my iphone since launch, with the new one what is to stop me buying a 3g Iphone online then using my old sim from my o2 iphone in the new 3g one? It should work because its still o2 and then I dont have to take out another 18 month contract....right?

Wolf

5. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

It will work but you will need a new sim for 3G. When you get the free upgrade you do not need to send back your old iPhone. They offer a new PAYG sim for it, or you can sell/give it to somebody with an 02 account and they will send them a new iPhone sim that will work in your old phone. Your new iPhone will come with a new 3G sim.

All the information is on there web site right now.

6. Unguided macrumors newbie

Or if you're lucky like me, well if you can call it lucky. O2 have already sent me a new SIM that says it is 3G, however it was at the expense of losing my 1st Gen iPhone last week, after just 2 months of having it. Just wish I could find a phone to use it in currently until I can get the 3G iPhone.

7. wolfuk macrumors newbie

Or if you're lucky like me, well if you can call it lucky. O2 have already sent me a new SIM that says it is 3G, however it was at the expense of losing my 1st Gen iPhone last week, after just 2 months of having it. Just wish I could find a phone to use it in currently until I can get the 3G iPhone.

-----------------------------------------

How did you manage to get a 3G sim? I thought it was the phone that picked up the 3g signal not the sim???? I'm confused. Whats the betting also after 1 year and 6 months left on our contracts that I-phone 3.0 comes out and we go though all this again!

8. DenniZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it won't work, activation of the phone will require another 18 month contract to be taken out, so your 18 months of iPhone contract resets itself. So say you have been on for 4 months, you still have 14 months left, getting a 3G iphone resets this to 18 months left again.

Also, the sim card that comes with the iPhone (original one), is 3G enabled, tested mine just then with a P990 thats 3g, was able to make video calls.

9. Unguided macrumors newbie

Dunno, all I know is on the main card that you push the SIM out from it has 3G in the bottom left hand corner. Plus on the packing invoice it states

3G UNI POSTPY SIM

So it looks like you also need a 3G enabled SIM to be able to use 3G services. Perhaps O2 were being sneaky and sending me a replacement SIM that would work in the 3G iPhone as they knew it was coming and I wouldn't be able to get a 1st Gen iPhone ;)

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As I understand it, you have to "register your interest" on the O2 website and then closer to the time they'll send you full details of what to do. I believe it will all be done via their website with the new phone being delivered directly to you. That's my understanding at least...

11. DenniZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats process would be the easiest for me, I'm on study leave so I can wait for a new phone to come in the post :p

12. Unguided macrumors newbie

Yes just have to hope they get stock early enough to dispatch for arrival on day of release. I don't trust Apple enough to get that right, after the iPod Touch fiasco. Preordered one right from the very announcement and they appeared in the retail outlets before mine had even been shipped.

13. DenniZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol same, even kept refreshing the status and tracking pages every like 10 minutes i was awake ...

14. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

I really hope that is the case but what about these stories saying the contracts have to be signed in store????
    or do they activate them for you and then send them out??
    either way I prefrered the way it worked last November - in my house on my mac:mad: