UK O2 iPhone - use SIM in another device, still unlimited?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulobrad, Mar 22, 2008.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

I have a fully legit O2 iPhone in the UK. The SIM in the iPhone supports 3G (even though the device doesn't), if I put this in my old Nokia E65 for example and browse on the 3G network is there any chance O2 could think - erm, iPhone SIM browsing on 3G network - not possible on iPhone, we'll charge you?

Obviously Nokias come with a data cable so I could browse at 3G speeds on my notebook using my iPhone SIM.

Anyone done this? Cheers.

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm pretty sure you'd be in breach of your terms and conditions and O2 would have every contractual right to charge you.

But of course that doesn't neccessarily mean they'll notice. Dunno if they would or not.

Phazer

3. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I'm certain I'd be in breach by putting the SIM in another device, it's all about whether they can tell and/or choose to charge.

(Posting this very message via my 3G Nokia with iPhone SIM)

4. paduck macrumors 6502

I think the giveaway would be that you were using 3G....

If you were using EDGE, I'm not sure that it would be in breach. If so, then so would voice and SMS. Can you do MMS off your Nokia (meaning, will the MMS work with that SIM card, since 3G does)?

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

They can definitely tell the difference. Whether they choose to do anything about it is a different story. Here in the US there have been several threads about people swapping SIM cards and the AT&T account management page changes to reflect the phone that is currently in use.

6. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

O2 have just changed their T&Cs so I would check them out. I had a quick glance at them a week ago and IIRC they can cut you off for breaching the T&Cs and make you pay the rest of the contract.
    You could always give their customer services a ring and ask the question, you can use the sim in one phone at a time after all.

7. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

I can send an MMS from the Nokia with iPhone SIM no problem. Interestingly the when I *receive* MMS on the Nokia with the iPhone SIM I still get the text telling me to go on o2.co.uk/m and enter the PIN to retrieve the message, despite the Nokia being perfectly capable of receiving an actual MMS.

Just checked my online usage with O2 and the browsing I did on the 3G network a couple of days ago is now one there, and it shows up as normal and with a charge of £0.00 :-D

Clearly O2 at any stage could whip my backside because I'm in breach but a long train journey tomorrow plus 3G Nokia tethered to my MacBook will be good.