UK o2: No Service Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stiggypop, Jul 14, 2008.

1. stiggypop macrumors newbie

stiggypop

Got my new :apple: iPhone 3G early Friday morning but still have the dreaded "No Service" message. I spoke to o2 yesterday (Sunday) morning to be advised that in the worst case scenario it could take 2-3 days.

Who else has the dreaded "No Service" message and are you a new or existing customer?

2. goffski macrumors member

New customer - i eventually signed up on Friday about 5.30 after waiting in the Apple Store all day. I still have the 'No Service' message. I was going to ring O2 today and find out what's happening.

O2 really did screw this one up!

3. marcol macrumors regular

I had this too and O2 also told me 2-3 days. Just to see, I popped out the SIM and popped it back in and it worked straight away. Might have been coincidence, but worth a shot I'd say.

4. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Got mine on Friday and I haven't had the "No service" problem.

The only time when I get it is when I turn 3G on or off then It goes to "No service" for a few seconds but that's it.

5. goffski macrumors member

Just spoke with O2 and they've told me all will be up and running today and suggested powering of and on the phone every now and again.

They also tell me after providing my PAC code on Friday it takes 7 working days to transfer your number over and no sooner! On Friday i was told its 2 working days!

Why is nothing straight froward! :mad:

6. marcol macrumors regular

@ Goffski, got a text from T-Mobile saying my number will be transferred on Wednesday, 3 days after SIM activation. Hopefully less than 7 days for you too.

7. goffski macrumors member

Ok, cool. Im moving over from T-Mobile too so hopefully once the sim is activated i should all be up and running within a few days. Im actually using a first Gen iPhone with T-Mobile at the minute so its not all bad even though my nice new (finger print covered) phone is just sat here looking up at me!!

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You will probably get the "No Service" message even when your SIM is activated. O2's coverage is patchy at best, good luck finding 3G coverage because it's like gold dust.

9. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Got my iPhone 3G on friday and have never seen this myself, but then I didn't have to do any activation at home either, not sure why, it just worked straight away.
    3G coverage isn't too bad, 4 bars of 3G in my town centre, but flashes between it and standard at home and work, would have been nice to have it constantly at work, but no need at home due to wifi.

10. cdpilkington macrumors member

Have to say, over the water from you in Edinburgh I don't find that to be the case. Can't move for 3G and Wi-FI spots.
    In fact barring tunnels, I've only ever encountered one place in the country where I've had poor o2 signal, a friend's flat. Not the flat above or below it, perfect signal there, but his flat? None whatsoever. Go figure!

11. stiggypop thread starter macrumors newbie

stiggypop

You guys are lucky to be connected. Tried removing and re-inserting SIM card and turning phone off and on several times to no avail :confused:

12. marcol macrumors regular

Gold dust found :)

[​IMG]

Coverage is patchy around here though.

13. stiggypop thread starter macrumors newbie

stiggypop

Just rang o2. The customer services rep took my mobile number and where I bought the device from and has sent off an "iPhone Activation Form". She advises that someone will give me a call on the alternative number that I provided when it has been sorted out.

14. goffski macrumors member

I've done the same and should now receive a call back from O2 within the next FIVE hours!