UK - O2 or VODAFONE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g33, Jun 17, 2010.

1. g33 macrumors 6502

Ive been on O2 for a few years now but thinking of moving to Vodafone because of the skethcy connectivity im getting.

Whats their customer services like?

Anybody wanting to swap over from vodafone to o2? if so why?

2. stekerrod macrumors regular

I've been on O2 since the first iPhone and probably going to go over to Vodafone with the iPhone 4 (unless 3 or T-mobile have better deals).

My reasons are purely because of money: the 32GB iPhone is cheaper on the tariff I want to go on and the Vodafone tariff has 1GB of data vs O2's 500MB.

If I'm honest I'd have liked to have stayed on O2 because throughout the last 2 years 8 months or so I've had no problems at all with O2's customer service whenever I've had a query or problem!

3. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Same here. o2 have been fine, no problems but it might be that there is a slightly better deal to be had with Vodafone. Was with them for years previously so quite happy to go back. Have my PAC at the ready! :D

4. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

in my experience VFs customer service is a bit pants but their network is pretty good. I have a BB, a work BB, a work 3G card, and iPad and my wife has a VF SIM - great signal.

O2's network coverage is poor indoors for me and even when you get coverage, speeds are not great.

5. andothfc macrumors regular

It's a no-brainer for me. The upfront cost of the phone is considerably cheaper on Vodafone on the £35 tariff and the data allowance is double. I've been with o2 since the 3GS came out and would have stayed with them had their pricing been competitive but I called them today to get my PAC and will be switching to Voda (assuming the leaked prices are correct).

6. stekerrod macrumors regular

I have my PAC ready for Thursday! Only problem is there seems to be a few who are switching to Vodafone this time round so getting my hands on a 32GB could prove more challenging.....

7. leehal macrumors member

I am assuming you are basing your choice of only two on the information available at the moment? I have a data plan with 3 in my iPad and amazed at the speed (I think they have problems in London though), tired of waiting for them to announce their call plans though. I have ordered my phone and am waiting with baited breath.............

8. stekerrod macrumors regular

I'd have thought if they were planning on selling the iPhone on Thursday that they'd have had prices/tariffs by now! I'd definately consider 3 if their plans match the Vodafone ones!

Yeah I'm basing what I'm saying on the information weve had so far, I hope the Vodafone tariffs are what has been leaked as they're easily better than O2 and Orange!

9. hatcheeks macrumors member

hatcheeks

i dont understand how people are talking about going with vodafone when they havent released tariffs or handset prices

10. badbradderz macrumors regular

i think people are taking the leaked tariffs as gospel. I hope they are correct but given how much cheaper those leaks from Vodafone are in comparison to O2 and especially Orange i have my doubts that they are legitimate...there's undercutting your competition and there is doing yourself out of money!

11. hannahjayne macrumors regular

To be honest, all of the tariffs and prices are pretty similar, there's very little to differentiate. I'm choosing vodafone because of their roaming charges, and expect their tariffs to be either similar to the leaked ones, or similar to what o2 and orange are offering. Either is fine.

12. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I was with Vodafone for about 8 years, and as a result of that, plus some high bills, got very good deals on upgrades and the like. Customer service was always of the highest quality and never had a single problem with them.

Changed to o2 for the iPhone, and had nothing but problems with them, and regretted it. The only thing keeping me was the iPhone contract.

Seriously thinking about going back to Vodafone, however, their coverage is not as good as o2 for where I need to use the phone, so looking like I'm going to stay with o2, purely for this reason :rolleyes:

13. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

I've been with O2 for an age now and while their connection isn't as good as the competitors, I value their Customer Services and have had no problems in that regard. I'll probably stick with O2 just because it's a lot easier as well :cool:

14. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Meh. I never liked Vodafone much; voicemails would turn up reliably a day late.
    I liked Orange; lots of good deals. They would regularly give everyone a premium add on free for a couple of months, just to try out.
    I'm on O2 at the mo, due to it being the only operator that has any coverage at all at my house (central London - go figure). They're fine & I've always found their support people to be excellent, but their 3G coverage can suck (e.g. It was completely out inmost of London for amfew hours yesterday) which is pretty unacceptable. Still they must get hit pretty hard by all the iPhones on their network, so I think any network would struggle...

I'm pretty happy with O2

15. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I left Vodafone for O2 just to get the iPhone 3G when it launched. I bought a PAYG 3GS last year and sold my 3G. As soon as my 18 months was up I moved back to Vodafone on a rolling 1 month SIM only plan and I couldn't be happier.

I had no problems with O2 but Vodafone have better coverage in Brighton and besides, the technology has moved on during the last 2 years. When I moved to O2 they were trialling femtocells, useful to me because there is no reception from any network in my flat, but they never introduced them. Instead, Vodafone have released their version, the suresignal and it works just as advertised.

Their customer service is also top-notch, in my experience. Even when I asked for my PAC code 2 years ago, I remember them being a model of politeness and efficiency. Only last night I phoned them regarding the iPhone 4 I've reserved on launch day. Their operative knew that I'd need a MicroSIM and arranged to have one sent to me next week.

16. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

O2's coverage and data service has been crappy for me. And no, I'm not in some obscure rural area, I'm in London.

Plus, they're now taking away the 12 months of unlimited Internet for iPhone 4 PAYG customers, which was the only thing keeping me on their s**ty network on my 3GS.

I plan to get my iPhone 4 on Orange (so far, unless one of the other networks which hasen't released tariffs yet turns out to have a better deal).

17. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

O2 = cheapest tariff/handset, offers Internet data bolt-on from october, unlimited wifi, visual mail inclusive.

Orange = unlimited Internet and wifi shared in 750MB bolt-on, offers tethering bolt-on.

Vodafone = 7.2Mbps(if I don't mistake), 1GB Internet, 1GB wifi.

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'm hoping plenty of people will switch from O2 to Vodafone et al!

This will relieve the pressure on O2's network and pass overload problems onto other networks! ;) :)

19. jimbean9 macrumors member

20. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

*Further to post #15 above*

I've just received a text message from Vodafone CS, letting me know that my MicroSIM's been despatched.

Good show!

21. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

After many years with o2 I'm headed back to Vodafone. For the same as I'm paying now I get same minutes etc but 1gb data per month and 5mb European data per day. That's enough to make me
    switch.

22. JadedBen macrumors regular

After 7 years with O2 i'm moving to Vodafone. I've had months of late or lost txts with O2, and despite them apologising, it's not got any better, plus where i work now i get on a daily basis 1bar to no signal! Whereas everyone else on VF seem to be getting a full signal.

I'm currently on the O2 sim only 30 day contract for £20 and the VF equivalent will give me the same deal for the same money with the added bonus of a signal!

I know i have an unlimited data plan with O2 and will have a 500mb cap with VF, but i've only ever used 346mb in 20months, so it's a no brainer for me!

But it's the micro sim thing that's the annoying part, as obviously i can't sort my contract now so i can used my i4 on the 24th as VF havn't got any micro sims yet! Gonna be a long couple days, lol.

23. oj6665 macrumors member

I have been with o2 for years on pay as you go from the age of 18 (now 24) but I phoned them today to ask if I was eligible to get an iPhone on contract and was told I am not an existing customer so **** them I am going to vodafone. It's like they are trying to loose customers they used to get away with it because of their exclusivity deal but not anymore stuff them!