UK: O2 Recycle. Any good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antster94, Oct 24, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

So basically I'm selling my 16GB 3GS and they are giving great prices on their website for them. However, mine has some minor damage (pics here: http://anthonysjb.pinkbike.com/album/BuySell/) and was wondering if they would give me anywhere near the £249 they say for it.

Anyone got any experiences with O2 Recycle?

Thanks.

2. alangrehan macrumors regular

I sold my 16GB 3G just after getting the iPhone 4..

They offered me I think £155.... Sent it off and 3 days later I got £147.25 into my bank account...

They took off 5% for signs of general wear and tear... (in fairness it was scratched to bits!)

http://www.o2recycle.co.uk/termsandconditions.asp

I'd strongly recommend it... No hassle compared to ebay and you don't have to send any of the accessories or box...

go for it!

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

A friend of mine used this service when he upgraded his 3GS to an iPhone 4. As far as I remember, he got the full refund price. However, unlike yours, his was in pristine condition.

I understand that if you are not satisfied with the price offered, they will cancel the order for the new 'phone and return the original.

Why not give 'em a ring?

4. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Yeah I'm considering it, but do you think the amount of damage mine has will greatly reduce the price? It's got hairline scratches across most of the back as well, pics don't really pick them up.

5. alangrehan macrumors regular

Mine was in bits...

It was a white 3G and the apple logo on the back was scratched so much it blended into the white!

I had it for 18months with no case or screen protector...

I wouldn't be worried looking at your pics...

6. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I've used www.cashinmyfone.com several times now, and they've always paid out the full quoted amount. They don't deduct money for normal wear and tear. If there is damage, they will quote a lower price, but will return it for free if you reject their offer

7. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Hmm, not sure about http://www.cashinmyfone.com/, they mention that the phone cannot have any chips and I think mine falls into the category of having chips.

I think I will try O2 Recycle then, anyone else got any experiences with them?

8. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

9. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Mazuma look awesome, can't see anywhere on there website where they say the price may be subject to damage either, so I should get full price for it then?

10. reviewmonsters macrumors newbie

reviewmonsters

Agreed, they are brilliant. I recently used them and they did take some money off as my 3GS was scratched too bits! I couldn't complain, they were within their rights too but they can shave money off if they want. They are very good payment wise.

11. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Im not sure, but they were very fast, if you were not satisfied you could always get your phone back and sell elsewhere.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've used mazuma in the past and never had a single problem with them, or had any money deducted. I'd definitely recommend them

13. Humptydump macrumors member

Humptydump

UK: 02 Recycle. Any Good?

I used O2 to trade in 3gs as it was a good price, the phone was in perfect condition, but they still reduced the amount due to " wear and tear".

Upgrading to iphone 4 with O2 early and with the recycle, it only cost me £30 so I wasn't complaining.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

After having no luck with eBay and still getting stung with outrageous seller fees, I sold my 33GB 3GS for £230 at Envirofone.com. Sent it in the padded envelope they provided. Payment was in my account within 3 working days.

15. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I got full price for a badly cracked phone from cashinmyfone, who are the same company as envirofone, (not an iPhone), but I may have just got lucky!

There's a handy comparison tool here via Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert.com which includes most of the big mobile recycling schemes (although it doesn't include O2).

16. MST macrumors 6502

MST

17. steste macrumors member

be careful

You really need to read the T&Cs of those sites.

Some of them state they can alter the amount offered and even if you dont agree will not send it back!

There are stories about (inlcuding on money saving expert) about people being quoted x amount and shipping it off only to be told it was damaged and worth much less and not being able to do anything about it!

by the way you can also use o2 recycle in a store so you can just walk in and they will tell you if the damage will affect price.

18. toypadlock macrumors member

if you do use o2 recycle, make sure you send it registered and be willing to hassle them about it.

they took 2 weeks to process my phone (though i got full price for it) and denied its existence a couple of times. thankfully i was able to tell them the exact time and day it arrived at their headquarters and who signed for it and they eventually relented.

19. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Ah that sucks if they take up to 2 weeks to process the phone, there goes my chances of being able to afford an iPhone 4 any time within a week.

20. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Have used O2 recycle, got the money that was quoted for me 16gb 3G. Very good service. Recommended.