uk o2 tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ginsters, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ginsters macrumors newbie

Hi

So i upgraded to 3.0 GM and when I went to tethering it tells me I have to check the o2 website for details on how to update for tethering.
    This is a bolt on that they are providing for a rdiculous price I think we all agree

So i tried the old o2_uk.ipcc file and updated my carrier settings.

Tethering now works perfectly

My question is, does o2 know I am tethering in any way or am I "tricking the system"?
    also, can this method be retro disabled by simply syncing with itunes? or am I safe til I update the software or restore?

any thoughts on this?

2. ginsters thread starter macrumors newbie

3. magga macrumors regular

This was my arguement, if you are using an carrier file where tethering is enabled, then I really can't see how O2 can know/stop you from tethering at all.0000

4. johnsmclean macrumors member

Is tethering free if on a pay monthly contract ?

5. drpellypo macrumors 6502

They can tell, yes. They know what device is hitting their network (e.g, your laptop) and if you don't have the bolt on, you're in breach of t&c.

6. johnsmclean macrumors member

7. magga macrumors regular

It would appear so yes :)

I don't think they do know what device is using it, as far as they are concerned, your iPhone is using the data still - your computer just shares it.

8. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Does this require jailbreaking?? Can u explain how you do it?

9. magga macrumors regular

No jailbreaking required, just get yourself the o2 5.0 carrier file (from somewhere online) and update it on your phone using iTunes.

There's quite a few guides on the internet that explain how to do it.

10. johnsmclean macrumors member

You may need to also use the iTunes 8 beta

11. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I have just been told by O2 on Twitter than tethering is covered by Cloud only. I had checked the network coverage with the mobile broadband with the pay as you go option in my mind & the postcodes i entered all failed to have cover.

12. magga macrumors regular

Well that's not true, I've successfully used it over 3G a number of times.

13. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

Well can you tell me how this all works then as i never have used mobile broadband before anyway.

14. anthdci macrumors 6502

ive got a work htc (i hate it, its got its called diverted to my iphone and now has a layer of dust on it) anyway, ive use it for tethering numerous times and thats also on o2, and ive had no complaints/ charges from them. there has to be a way to get it to work

15. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

People have been using PDA Net for ages

And I have yet to hear of O2 clamping down on them.

I think they'd have to snoop a lot of data to track down potential illegal tethering.

C.

16. charltonx macrumors member

I've used PDANet a couple of times in the past with no complaints from O2, I've always assumed if you use it in moderation they wouldn't notice.

My question would be, because the tethering app is now linked to OS 3.0, can O2 now see that you are using the app or would they just rely on seeing unusually large amounts of data being used; how much data would you use just surfing the web anyway.

Are they blagging it and hoping that people will spend £15 or have they got an actual method of seeing that somebody is tethering.

I might have to rejailbreak my phone for PDANet, not because I essentially need it but because the iPhone is capable of doing it and I want it there just incase; I'm not spending £15 on the off chance that I'll use it.

17. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

This is my argument. I used it for the past couple of months, sporadically and didn't get billed at all for it.

18. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I think O2 might investigate any account which massively over-uses its 3G data allowance.

But I doubt whether tether-sourced data packets under 3.0 are any different to tethered data packets using PDA Net.

C.

19. ginsters thread starter macrumors newbie

I love the way you get a phone with "unlimited data" which is only unlimited if you don't use the phone to its full capability.

20. danny_boy macrumors member

o2_uk.ipcc and tethering

Hi There,

Can you tell me if you need the iPhone 3.0 SDK to apply the o2_uk.ipcc? I tried this in iTunes 8.2 and it doesn't allow me to select the file. Running iPhone 3G with the latest 3.0 GM.

Cheers

Danny

21. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

You need to get hold of a pre-release version of iTunes. Which was available to developers.

The name was
    itunes_8.2_prerelease_for_mac_os_x.dmg

C.

22. jck1634 macrumors regular

jck1634

Is there anyway you can provide us with a guide on how you did that? Maybe even upload the file to the net for us to download? I've searched the web but can't find any decent guides on how to enable tethering on O2. MMS works just fine though.

23. danny_boy macrumors member

HOW TO ENABLE BOTH MMS & TETHERING ON O2

1. I installed the new iPhone OS 3.0 GM that was released yesterday.
    www.funkyspacemonkey.com/download-iphone-os-3 0-gm

MMS was enabled but Tethering was disabled.

2. Still I sent the word "MMS" to "1010" from iPhone and O2 enabled MMS just in case.

3. Then got a copy of the iTunes 8.2 beta that came with iPhone OS 3.0 Beta 4 because the new itunes does not allow you to install IPCC file.
    www.ihackintosh.com/2009/04/iphone-30-beta-4- and-itunes-8...

4. Install the IPCC hack in this post with the itunes 8.2 beta that came with iphone OS 3.0 beta 4 and restart iphone.
    drop.io/o2ukipcc

After restart, Tethering was enabled but MMS was disabled now.

5. I then rentered the MMS apn settings and restarted my phone.
    To put in MMS apn setterings: go to "Settings"->"General"- >"Network"->"Cellular Data Network" on your iPhone and fill out the MMS section with the following details (note that you need to restart the phone after filling these settings in):

APN: wap.o2.co.uk
    Username: o2wap
    Password: password
    MMSC: mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
    Proxy: 193.113.200.195:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: [leave blank]
    MMS UA Prof URL: [leave blank]

6. After restart, I sent the word "MMS" to "1010" again from iPhone and O2 enabled MMS.

Now both MMS and Tethering were enabled for iPhone OS 3.0 GM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bendodson/3367856091/