UK O2 upgrade terms?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by antster94, Jun 8, 2010.

1. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Hey guys,

Basically I want the iPhone 4, a lot. But I got my iPhone 3GS in December so how would I go about getting the upgrade? Will I at least get a discount off the new handset? And will I be able to get my SIM converted to micro-SIM and use it in the new iPhone?

Thanks,
    Anthony

:apple:

2. JamesHP macrumors 6502

O2 have announced some kind of early upgrade offer for current customers, but we don't know the details yet. Hopefully we'll get more info during the course of today.

3. johnrs macrumors 6502a

4. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Ok that's great news. If it was something like carry on my current contract but pay £200 for the handset that would be insane!

:apple:

5. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I really doubt that you will get a discount when you have only owned the 3GS for 6 months..... and i think you are a bit naive to think you will!

The chances of any discount is slim and there are customers who have had their handests for years and years who will likely see no discount too.

REALLY!!! I think its you that is insane!!! You will be lucky if you pay £300 and continue your contract.

When the 3G was released existing customers had to renew/extend their contract as well as pay for the handset!!!

6. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Contract runs out in a year, "O2 customers still in contract will get a limited time special upgrade offer." Quote from O2 Twitter.

@anim8or, it's called optimism not insanity, and even if it is £300 that will be great. I'll just have to wait and see what O2 says about it.

7. antster94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

antster94

Oh and if the upgrade offer isn't that great then I have a plan, I will sell my handset to O2 Recycle for £247.00 and then put that money towards the new iPhone. Then I will try to get my SIM converted to micro-SIM and then either put that in the 4 or unlock the 4 and put it in. If I cannot get it converted the I will use the PAYG deal which is probably best for me anyway seeing as I am a light user of the phone and use Facebook for most of my contacting of other people (my circle of friends all use Facebook to contact eachother as we all have iPhones, it's great!). BAM :p

8. iNickk macrumors member

I'm waiting for this too. I've signed up on the o2 site for updates. Hope it's a good deal, because i want a 4, but not enough to warrant ending contract early, and paying £?00.

9. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

Unless that tweet is indicative of them being more generous than any technology has ever been (i.e. not going to happen), there are two possibilities:

1) You will be allowed to purchase a shiny new iPhone 4 at a discounted rate in return for bumping your contract back up to 18/24 months remaining, with the discount amount dependent upon how many months remain on your current plan.

2) O2 will tell you that you have a year left on your contract, and that's the end of it. If you want to buy yourself out of your current plan, it'll cost you number of remaining months x cost per month (no cancellation fee). At that point, you can enter into a new contract with O2.

Alternatively, you'll be able to buy one PAYG. I think that's the most likely solution, although bear in mind that getting hold of one on or close to launch day will, I imagine, be very tricky.