Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
An iPhone update comes out in a few days...Apple has promised to mess with hacked iPhones. I know you just got your iPhone, but I would recommend waiting off until hackers have overcome Apple's preventions before messing with it...

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
An iPhone update comes out in a few days...Apple has promised to mess with hacked iPhones. I know you just got your iPhone, but I would recommend waiting off until hackers have overcome Apple's preventions before messing with it...

I agree if I were you I wouldn't mess with it just yet

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
or....... just not update. The hackers are years ahead of apple in the released software realm. Apple is not going to give you near as much as installer will.

PS- they said unlocked phones, not hacked phones. They are only trying to keep people on at&t.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
or....... just not update. The hackers are years ahead of apple in the released software realm. Apple is not going to give you near as much as installer will.

PS- they said unlocked phones, not hacked phones. They are only trying to keep people on at&t.

except we know beyond reasonable doubt apple is including new features in this update over and above the ITMS...like double tapping and international keyboards...

like the others said...wait it out for a couple more days.

theliksta

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
kentucky usa
Cheers

Thanks fellas,will wait and see for the rest of this week it looks like.

So if 1.1.1 comes out say Tuesday,should i just wait until a breakthru in that hack comes around? For example if,at the end of this week,or the end of the next week comes around without a hack for 1.1.1,should i just sell the phone on ebay,take it into an Apple store(boxed for a uk replacement in November) or unlock using 1.0.2?

Any ideas? I know its down to me,but wanted to gauge the opinion of you guys.

Many Thanks

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007

Do you think that we shouldn't activate the iPhone with Independence at this time? Or is it just the unlocking process that is potentially dangerous?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
i already know they would give me a uk one for an unopened american phone,as i did with american ipod,american macbook pro,which i took in and received a replacement.the warrantly is worldwide as are returns...

You surprise me. Did they know that that they were taking back items that were bought abroad?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
As far as returning goods is concerned, you would have to do it within a limited period (14 or 21 days?) with the original receipt, so you couldn't wait until the 9th of November for that could you.

The alternative is a valid warranty claim which (at the moment) you don't have, and may never have.

EDIT: Posted before I saw the previous post.

theliksta

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
kentucky usa
in my case,you are right,its actually 30 days with receipt,which i have,although if i bought it in the states on 10th october,i could take it to regents street on the 9th nov and get a full refund.

if you read the terms and conditions,apple opened up a can of worms for itself as it wants to be a global "unibrand",in other words,you buy an ipod in new york,you fly to london with it,decide you dont want it,take it in to your local apple store and they will replace it for you,fact.

your receipt will be in dollars but the credit card that you use will be used to credit you back in pounds,reflecting the banks exchange rate on that day,and the bank's comission for the change.

Not sure how it works with cash,but thats whats happened to me before.so although yes,you are right,the 30 days will run out for me,the principal is still the same.you buy in tokyo,you take back in washington!

that goes for any apple branded product in any apple store,and as you arent compelled by law to get an at&t contract when you buy an iphone in the states anyway,you can,as with any apple product,exchange or be refunded.anywhere in the world.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007

Can't see anything there that suggests that you can buy the U.S. iPhone and exchange it for a U.K. iPhone.

What I did see is this, which may cause you difficulty:

U.S. Sales Only

The Apple Store sells and ships products only within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. No shipments can be made to APO or FPO addresses, United States territories, or addresses outside the United States. You may not export any products purchased at the Apple Store.

Sales to End Users Only

The Apple Store sells and ships products to end user customers only. You may not purchase for resale. Apple reserves the right to refuse or cancel your order if Apple suspects you are purchasing for resale.

theliksta

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
kentucky usa
U.S. Sales Only

The Apple Store sells and ships products only within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. No shipments can be made to APO or FPO addresses, United States territories, or addresses outside the United States. You may not export any products purchased at the Apple Store.

thats what you are led to believe,but if that were the case,apple wouldnt service,replace parts on defective stuff bought in the states for use in the uk.they are a global store,and if you buy an ipod today in new york,and it doesnt work,trust me,apple are obliged by law to replace or service it,which is mentioned further up in the blurb.

How amny ipods do you think have been sold in one country only to be used in another! millions,and in my local apple store today,people will be taking their faulty ipods in ,bought abroad,and will get a brand new one as a replacement...

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Some surprisingly poor advice in here in my opinion - the upcoming update is precisely the reason why you should be activating and unlocking the phone now. Once the update is out the unlock will almost certainly not work for a few days at the very least, so if you want a functional phone you should do it now. (There might be an iTunes hack you can do to force it to restore with 1.0.2 perhaps, but why take the risk?)

(The ModMyIPhone tutorial worked very well for me btw.)

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Yea just update it, and play with it. Love it, Cherish it, give it a name...

It'll keep you busy for a while... but yea, wait for the new firmware before tinkering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.