Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
I am soon going to downsize my MP to the next MBP (whenever that arrives....)
and need some buying advice for stuff available in the UK.

I will be getting a TB Apple Display as well.

In the MP I have quite a few drives that I would like to take out and use with the MBP. But the enclosures I really like are all from OWC and not I believe available in the UK. I could have them sent over, but run the risk of customs charges.

What similar enclosures are available in the UK that don't cost the earth.

What I am thinking is single or double drive enclosures, nice case, with FW800 and maybe also eSATA. I would probably also get the NewerTechnology TB to Express34 adapter from OWC. So I have the option of eSATA and or extra FW800.

I am sure this all sounds a bit vague, well it is! I have about 5 drives in the MP and some are used daily, others are used occasionally.

For the occasional use drives, I am considering one or two of those drive docks that take a bare drive in the top.

Thanks.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I suggest you go to Amazon UK and search on "External Firewire Drive" - read reviews. Then ask questions here about specific cases.

Personally, I like having at least 2 of the same case type so if a power supply dies, it's real quick to get a drive back up and running. I'm using 2 Macally Firewire/Sata/USB cases myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.