(UK) Orange won't send me a microsim

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonnyb, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Despite having conversations with two separate CS reps last week who said they'd sent me a microsim to put in my new iPhone 4, (bought directly from the UK online pple store) they're now saying they won't send me one.

In fact, they haven't even decided if they will give microsims to existing customers who simply want to transfer their existing contract (I'm on their SIM-only iPhone contract, having transferred from O2 in April)

This is ridiculous. Has anyone else managed to get a microsim as an existing customer wanting to transfer their existing account? I saw one guy earlier today in this forum but Orange wouldn't believe he existed!

2. Chronolemon macrumors newbie

im in the same boat.

I'm having the same problem. I'm already in a looong term contract with orange and they wont send me a microsim cos they say they have to migrate my account over. as if the micro sim is some kind of new technology or something. its just less waste plastic. the only reason they wont is because they know its for an iphone. they will quite happily migrate me onto a new standard sim but for one with less plastic it takes technology. as you can tell im annoyed at them for making out like they cant do it when all they want is for me to buy out of my contract just to start a new one with them. im buying the iphone 4 outright from apple like you are all i want is the sim. if i was to hack my sim and trim it would they ever know?

3. henchosbandito macrumors member

I had a similar issue back in June

In the run up to the iphone 4 being released, I had phoned Orange on several occasions to get a microsim sent to me ready for when my phone arrived. Sometimes they said they would be able to, sometimes they contradicted themselves saying they had no plans on issuing microsims to existing customers.

I phoned again a couple of days later and explained the situation, stating that it was ridiculous how much of a mixed story i was getting and that I was very disappointed at the level of customer service I was getting. Cant remember exactly what was said but I eventually got them to send me a microsim for my existing contract.

As far as I know, they have been sending microsims to existing customers so not sure why theyre saying they're not! Might be worth asking to lodge a complaint and see what happens.

4. AshUK macrumors newbie

I had the very same problem with O2. I am on a 3G contract with unlimited internet, and the new contracts limit to 500MB. They naturally wanted me to change a contract to the iPhone 4 one, even though I had already bought the phone.

I looked online and saw a website showing how easy it was to chop down the SIM to fit. 2 minutes later I had a fully functioning iPhone 4 on my same old contract.

Ash

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe try going into a shop? I got O2 to give me a microsim without issue so I could carry on my old iPhone contract when I upgraded to the 4, just went into the shop and asked for one. "Real" people are often more helpful than those on the end of the phone! Either that or just cut your existing SIM down as described above...

6. Chronolemon macrumors newbie

Here's something rich!

Orange won't send me a microsim because they say its new technology and they cant transfer my contract over. well heres the shocking twist. i had my phone in for repair recently and in the box with the temp replacement, (retailing at £9 with no camera or internet or apps or anything special) had an adapter to put the microsim into the old phone. hmmmm new tech...? i think not. for the record i kept the adapter after giving the phone back :p