UK plug into the power adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j.bond312, Jan 30, 2008.

1. j.bond312 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, firstly id just like to say how surprised i was with apples quick online service, ive been a PC person all my life and decided to purchase a macbook. iIordered it tuesday at 4pm online and to my surprise arrived the next day at 11am!

Anyway, to my query, im from the UK and have a plug that came with the macbook that goes into the power adapter (brick thing), where the power cord also goes. The power cord fits into it fine, except using it is a bit unnecessary as its really long, i wanted to just put the plug into it instead, yet even with quite a firm bit of force it wont go in? i dont want to push too hard because it starts making creaking noises.

I've noticed on the power cord, the end which goes into the adapter, has two metal strips on the insides of where it slots into the adapter, yet on the plug is doesn't, is that why my plug wont fit in and do i need to send it back, or do i just need to really push it in hard?

All comments welcome!

thx, James

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

When it arrived, did it not have the plug already fitted to the power adaptor, and the extension cable elsewhere in the box? That’s my experience with several Apple-delivered notebooks.

The plug should just pop on, sometimes it needs a little bit of pressure (make sure that you've got the notch in the plug portion properly lined-up over the projecting metal connector of the adaptor portion), but if it really isn't going on, then you might have a problem adaptor/plug. Have you got a friend with a Mac notebook? Or even with an iPod power adaptor (which plugs into the wall, with a USB or firewire port on the other side)? The iPod/iPhone power adaptors have the same plugs which slide on and off the adaptor. If you can check against another adaptor and see how the thing fits, you might be able to work it out. Good luck!