UK!! Post quick impressions from your new IPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ninja Dom, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

UK! You got your iPhone? You got it activated?

Post quick impressions on what you think so far from the Safari browser!

2. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Well as mines a ''02 need more time to review your application for iPhone service. This may be due to information received from the credit check company. 02 will contact you within 24 hours'', so far it sucks!.

3. The Phazer macrumors 68030

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Just getting used to it now.

I'm impressed so far. :)

5. happyadam macrumors newbie

I also got this message. Soon after I got an email from itunes with the new number and re-synced and it was activated. Took a few minutes - but it all works ok.

6. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

JUST SO SO SO COOL

cos i had read about everything iPhone so far, perhaps surprisingly, i found setting a date in callender the most thrilling thing!!

7. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

Its even better than the videos make it look, I am seriously amazed by this phone! Can't visual voicemail working at the moment, maybe its cause I tranferred my number over from my last o2 phone. It says try later, so I will :D

8. Ninja Dom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

When I post on these forums from the Safari browser on my iPhone I get a little debug line at the top of my posts. When I post from Safari on my Mac Mini or my Dell Vista laptop, I get no such info.

This is the info...
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

What have I enabled on my iPhone that makes it broadcast the info?? Do all other iPhone posters get that info too?

9. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

How do you change the clock from 24 hr to 12 hr?

It's greyed out for me.

See picture:

[​IMG]

10. rob finch macrumors member

Enjoying mine so far! Getting used to it, but very impressive. Just got to learn to be less clumsy in order to type.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Astonishing piece of design. I am in love already!:D:D

12. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I was really worried about tie after using an iPod touch in the regent at store but so far on the iphone I have made virtually no erors and am very happy with the iPhone

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

My impression is now.. I can't believe its actually sitting on my desk.

another thing was.. its big.. but it really isnt. It's thin enough to fit nicely in my pocket.. doesnt feel like theres a big phone in there. I'm impressed and my dad was completely wowed so I think by the end of next week there'll be 2 iPhones in this house.

15. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You're using the mobile site by the looks of it. This is posted from my iPhone.

16. DogcowUK macrumors member

I pretty blown away with it to be honest and my wife is in a right huff because she's stuck with her Orange contract for another 11 months :rolleyes:

For me the iPhone is replacing the following devices:

a) A Sony Ericsson K750i
    b) A 1G iPod Nano
    c) A Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

My initial impressions on how well it replaces these respectively are:

a) Yes it takes a few more swishes of your finger to carry out the same tasks but the enjoyment you get actually doing those swishes seems to make you forget about the extra time it takes, maybe this will wear off in time.
    I already miss MMS messaging, I cannot believe Apple will not add this in 1.1.3 etc
    Call quality sounds reasonable.
    The keyboard is great, I was expecting a complete horror show but I tapped out a fairly long post in another thread comfortably (this post is on my MacPro)
    Indoors the camera is pretty poop, maybe they'll improve the software, I don't know, but it's a sacrifice I'm will to take... as long as they add MMS!

b) The iPod part is so slick, I nearly wet myself with joy when an SMS message came in whilst I was watching a Tenacious D video :eek:

c) Web browsing... I was really surprised with this... it's a better browsing experience than the N800 provides. The sheer responsiveness of the interface easily makes up for the inferior screen resolution. I have not browsed over EDGE yet as I will mainly be running off the home WiFi, but the N800 sucked over GPRS too so it can't be worse.

So overall as a single v1.0 device it's quite astonishing, if I was Nokia etc I'd be worried... not so much about iPhone v1.0 because they can still shout about the missing hardware/software features... but when iPhone v2.0 comes out and matches the competition in the hardware stakes (3G/GPS etc) how the hell are Nokia etc going to compete?!?!

17. smr macrumors 6502a

I am VERY pleased with my iPhone!

I queued outside the Birmingham Bullring Apple Store from about 2:45 until 6:02. I was about 30th in the queue which was well managed. I had no problems activating the phone, and it has a perfect screen (no stuck/dead pixels and no negative blacks).

I'm a VERY happy bunny:D

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's that good?

19. dombookpro macrumors member

I'm pretty much blown away by this beautiful piece of kit.

I've already checked it for the negative black issue. And I was pleased to discover absolutely no trace of it.

The screen is amazing. The GUI I'd delicious to use. Edge network isn't that slow at all. Sure, it isn't as fast as wireless or 3g. Bit I was expecting a lot worse.

The keyboard is a little laggy for me. In finding that I often want
    to type faster than the phone's software can keep up with. Maybe this will get better the more I use it. In fact, that last sentence was already a lot faster. So, I take that back.

I'm really impressed with how the videos look on this little thing. I had the film "War of the Worlds" already "Handbraked" for my iPod and I'd looks
    bloody marvellous.

The iphone pretty much rocks.

20. ne0star macrumors regular

can't say much more other than I love it. Best interface ever, and I have taken to the touch interface like a fish to water.

I'm also surprised at how small it is. I think the press material makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is.

Special mention has to go to the packaging though. Best packaged device I have ever bought!

21. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

i'm a little annoyed at the american esq call counter that only tells you the total calls in and out not in and out seperate so you know how many minutes you have used!

22. rayward macrumors 65816

They will compete the same way WinPC's compete with Macs, they will undercut the price and rely on people's inertia. However, unlike PCs, there will be millions of salespeople out there with samples, just busting to show everyone they know how cool the device is.

I think the iPhone is going to shred the non-Blackberry smartphone market. It's got a long way to go to gain enough acceptance to dislodge the ubiquitous BB and it's stone-aged interface from the corporate market, though.

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The only thing I can't figure out is how to curser around th text I've typed. Touching with my finger isn't always accurate enough. Am I missing somat?

24. rayward macrumors 65816

Yep.

Touch and hold near where you want to edit, and a magnifying glass comes up under your finger, showing you the exact insertion point. Don't lift your finger, just drag the bubble around (the screen will scroll as necessary) until you get to where you want to make a change.