[UK] Post your initial thoughts on your iPhone and launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

I'll start this off then. Initial reaction from first 20 mins of ownership:

1) O2 were fine, minimal queueing (wonder how this will translate to actual launch weekend figures)

2) Activation a breeze (apart from Vodafone not sending my PAC code in time !)

3) The phone itself.....what can I say. Surpassing expectation by having the device instead of reading about it. The screen is absolutely amazing, texting isn't as bad as I thought (a la keyboard), connected to my Apple network no problems, sync'd with Mail, Contacts, iCal instantly. Bought the BT headset as well (not paired it yet). I see the phone was at v1.1.2 already. Will try out iToner eventually. Safari is outstanding.

The entire interface is amazing. It's really what the mobile community has needed for such a long time, finally a rocket up the backside to Nokia, Sony etc who have lumbered us with the same old sh*te for so long.

Perhaps I'm turning into a fanboi, I don't know, but hands off to Apple for inventing something like this.

Will be playing with it most of tonight (my wife has christened herself as an iWidow lol !)

Hope you're enjoying the experience as much as I
    :)

2. iguanarama macrumors member

I love the phone.

I was also surprised, went to a local shopping area with two CPWs and one O2 store and... no queues anywhere (6.20pm). Just lots of balloons. Went straight into O2, straight to the counter, and straight out, a very happy camper.

I think the combination of the iPhone being hammered by the press, the cost of the phone separate from the contract, and the presence of the iPod touch, means there won't be the initial 'boom' in sales as there was in the US. But it'll still be very successful, and word-of-mouth will combat the press.

3. smr macrumors 6502a

I joined the queue outside the Birmingham Bullring Apple Store at about 2:45. I was about 30th in the line. The line was very well managed, with a tape barrier system allowing a neat zig-zag queue in the mall opposite the store. The Apple staff kept coming around and offering us free water, and Starbucks were taking coffee orders from the queue (and offering free mince pies). The local radio station were interviewing people, and there was a great atmosphere. I had a free sandwich from 02. CPW came along and asked people to go to their store ("no queues") but everyone seemed to ignore them!

With an hour to go the screens were lowered in the Apple Store window to reveal a countdown timer on one of the 'giant' display iPhones. At 6:02 the Apple staff clapped and high-fived us in - I was the last of the first batch allowed in. Got a chance to play with the display model as the queue moved along. Bought my phone, then had to wait whilst the Mrs and the kids had to do some shopping!

I had no problems activating the phone (moving from Orange to O2) once home. Tested the screen and it is perfect (no dead pixels or negative blacks). Phone works fine.

I had played with an iPod touch for 48hrs (I returned it because it had the negative blacks) so I was familiar with the touch interface. Just nice to have all the extras the iPhone offers over the touch (except I would like the 16GB, but I can live with 8GB). Anyway, I'm VERY pleased with my new toy!

So, the purchasing experience and the phone itself both lived up to my hopes.

4. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

well i had a go of an iphone on display and was completely disappointed, iv been watchin videos n stuff for weeks, and when i got to have a go, i knew my way round it like id had it for weeks, but it was over in about 5 mins lol, bored me, its nothing but a pretty interface i think. argue all you want fanboys but the bottom line is it aint all that! if they reduced the price i MAY consider one, but as it stands its a total rip off, what the hell can i do with 8gb? camera was crap too. im gutted as i was totally lookin forward to it. i should change my name to dontgimmeiphone lol. congrats to all that are happy with it tho, hope u enjoy it!:)

5. Project macrumors 68020

It went well. The queue in Manchester was nowhere near as big as the Leopard launch but there was still around 100 people.

Apple treated us to chocolate muffins and bottles of water. Starbucks came round with free gingerbread lattes. So the overall experience was fantastic.

As for the iPhone, its amazing.

6. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I certainly don't think theres been the hysteria in this country as there was been in the States when it was launched. The ques have hardly been stretching round the block, there aren't reports of celebs turning up at Apple Stores to get their hands on them, and its been pretty low key in the media. Not like in the US were 'iPhone' seemed to become a part of popular language before it was even launched.

Saying that, I'm really tempted. I'm already with o2 and there service has been OK, my contract is coming to an end and i desperately need a new phone after my other phone met an unhappy ending at a pool party. However, I already have an 8GB 2g Nano and I don't really know if I can justify the huge outlay and massive contract. But, release a 16GB and I'd probably get on board as it would feel like more of an upgrade on what I have now.

7. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Got to car phone warehouse at around five. They bought us tea and coffee and then let us in to buy around 5.30.

However the sales guys really really wanted me to buy and accessory kit and insurance. Then they had problems with the tills, they claim they can't accept nationwide debit cards and couldn't get my credit card through.

I eventually left the store around 5.55 and walked past the o2 store where they manager ask if I had heard of the iPhone, and offered me a leaflet.
    I opened my bag and waved mine at her and the people in the queue.... The looks I was given! :D
    The manager actually said "Thats awful, they're not allowed to do that!" I just smiled and walked off happy that i got my free tea and iPhone early and the big crowd were still in the cold and all they had we're blue glow sticks:D

Home at 6.15 activated and number transfered by 6.16! :eek:

Was very impressed with the activation process, and the phone is so slick.
    Just wish edge would connect keep getting some kind of authentication failed error. Apart from that its the best phone I've owned and almost the best iPod. If only it had bigger storage I wouldn't carry the 160 classic around too