UK PPC kit needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markjewiss, Mar 17, 2008.

1. markjewiss macrumors member

Hi there,

Does anyone have any recommendations for resellers of older Apple hardware in the UK? I'm looking for either a PPC based MacMini, or a PPC based MacPro. I've looked on the refurb store, and it's Intel only on there unfortunately, and I *definately* don't want to go down the eBary route! :)

As to why, I'm in software development, and we're about to port our application to OS X - I want to build on both PPC and Intel platforms.

Any help appreciated.

Mark.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't need a PPC machine to build a universal binary: an Intel machine can cross-compile to PPC fine. If you need to test on a PPC machine then that's a bit different, but for many apps there are no Intel/PPC specific sections of code so such testing may not be required.

Also note if you sign up for paid-for ADC you get access to the Compatibility Labs where you could test on PPC. Unfortunately there are none in the UK (or Europe at all)...

4. markjewiss thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips. I'd forgotten that I could build a universal binary on the Intel platform (D'oh!). PPC kit would still be useful for testing though, and I don't think my old iBook will hold up an enterprise level application.

I'll start trawling and see what I can find :)

Mark.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A PPC Mini is not really that different to some of the later G4 iBooks...

6. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

you could always build one.

7. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

The last time I looked Cancom did PPC refurbs. The prices were overly high when I looked and I'm not sure what warrenty you get.