UK Preorder Process

Daley347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Hi guys, on Friday I’ll be looking to pre order myself an iPhone X. Just wanted to know if anyone can confirm the pre order process for the UK if paying by iPhone Payments.

From what I understand, it seems I have to purchase online/the app by enrolling in the iPhone Upgrade Programme and reserving myself a handset to collect in store - and then once in store I tell them that I wish to do iPhone Payments rather than the iUP. Would this be correct? Cheers.

Daley347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Yes that’s right - there’s no way to reserve directly for the payment plan so his workaround is the best option.
Yeah strange I think, but wanted to confirm that’s the way to do it. Don’t want to end up on the iUP by mistake

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
The lack of information about this process is annoying af! I had the same query and asked it in the monster thread, and got the same response as what you thought. Whether that is actually correct, I don't know - would hate to turn up and be told it could only be bought on the more expensive IUP

Daley347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
The lack of information about this process is annoying af! I had the same query and asked it in the monster thread, and got the same response as what you thought. Whether that is actually correct, I don't know - would hate to turn up and be told it could only be bought on the more expensive IUP
Maybe try a live chat with Apple and ask, that’s what I’m going to try after work today.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68000
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Hi guys, on Friday I’ll be looking to pre order myself an iPhone X. Just wanted to know if anyone can confirm the pre order process for the UK if paying by iPhone Payments.

From what I understand, it seems I have to purchase online/the app by enrolling in the iPhone Upgrade Programme and reserving myself a handset to collect in store - and then once in store I tell them that I wish to do iPhone Payments rather than the iUP. Would this be correct? Cheers.
When you say iPhone Payments what exactly do you mean?

JabbaTheGriffin

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Glasgow
It’s a 0% payment plan like the upgrade program without apple care but no option to upgrade after 1 year
[doublepost=1509003915][/doublepost]I also want to use this payment plan... Has anyone pre ordered before using this plan?

During pre order do will make a deposit payment?

Thanks

Attachments

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
It’s a 0% payment plan like the upgrade program without apple care but no option to upgrade after 1 year
[doublepost=1509003915][/doublepost]I also want to use this payment plan... Has anyone pre ordered before using this plan?

During pre order do will make a deposit payment?

Thanks
I've tried following the process with the iPhone 8 on the Apple Store app, and it doesn't appear as though you need to make a deposit. The caveat being that I haven't gone all the way through the process, just to what appears to be the final confirmation screen

Daley347

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah doesn’t appear to require a deposit or anything at the pre order stage.

Spoke with an apple employee on live chat, and he said that you use the enrolment process for iUP and reserve your phone that way, and then go to store on the day and time that you select and notify them in store that you wish to start an iPhone Payments plan and not the iPhone Upgrade Programme.

RhysoTDI

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2017
You can definitely switch

I pre-ordered my 8 and inadvertently paid for it in full but had it delivered into store.

When I arrived at the store I asked to be refunded and switch over to the Payment Plan. It was done with no questions asked :)

The big caveat of course is you must pass the credit check........when I was instore I overheard one or two being declined :(

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
You can definitely switch

I pre-ordered my 8 and inadvertently paid for it in full but had it delivered into store.

When I arrived at the store I asked to be refunded and switch over to the Payment Plan. It was done with no questions asked :)

The big caveat of course is you must pass the credit check........when I was instore I overheard one or two being declined :(
Yeah that's always a worry, even though I have a perfect credit score (humble brag ;)) it still makes me nervous, especially when I'm getting one for me and one for my wife ...hopefully

Reactions: RhysoTDI

JabbaTheGriffin

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Glasgow
How did everyone get on? Managed to pre order for delivery to store for launch day. Couldn't get into order via upgrade program so ended up on credit card! Will be looking to refund then buy it through the iPhone payments plan when I go to pick up the phone

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I have a 7+ on the IUP. The app came up at 8:03 for me. I went through the check for eligibility to upgrade and it allowed me to select a X to upgrade to, but each time I clicked next, it gave me an error and said it was unable to fulfil my order.

JabbaTheGriffin

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
Glasgow
I have a 7+ on the IUP. The app came up at 8:03 for me. I went through the check for eligibility to upgrade and it allowed me to select a X to upgrade to, but each time I clicked next, it gave me an error and said it was unable to fulfil my order.
Seen they had problems with apple upgrade program in the USA.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Seen they had problems with apple upgrade program in the USA.
The app still doesn't work for me today. It will let me buy things without any issues, but once I try to upgrade my current IUP device, it just shows an error.

I have Apple looking into it to see what's wrong so I don't have these problems in future. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a December 12 delivery when I should've had one for launch without issue. I was on the app at 8:01, it's just that it refused to let me upgrade.

I did also try the website yesterday, but it kept asking for the serial and IMEI, and then telling me the device I had wasn't part of the IUP.

I found out later that this was because I'd hit apple.com (which is where Apple stated I should go in the email they sent out on Monday) instead of apple.com/uk. I guess that one's on me, but I never even thought to check if I was on the UK site or not.