UK: Preorders or First Come First Serve?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duncan1234, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Duncan1234 macrumors newbie

I went into the Glenrothes Carphone Warehouse branch 2 and a half weeks ago, to find out that it was first come first serve at 6pm on the 9th. Was fine for me, i then asked at the Carphone Warehouse a week ago in Kirkcaldy, but he said that you would only be allowed into the Merkat where the CPW shop is if you had a recept for a preorder with them. He had no clue when they were actualy going to be taking preorders.

Seems a little late for preorders to me. Does anyone know if there going to be doing a only those with receipts get an Iphone on the 9th, or if its going to be first come first serve?

Thanks

2. BuxtonUK macrumors member

It's most definitely first come, first served, ignore all talk of pre-orders.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

It should be first come first serve as Apple have not said anything about preorders and neither had O2 or CPW for that matter officially. Now whether pre order rules are applied locally by the managers of CPW and maybe O2 stores that might be a different matter.

Supposedly and hopefully Apple will have produced enough and sent good allocations of the iPhone to all stores so as to meet demand on launch day.

Because there is no official pre order system then stores should not really be taking pre orders but with no extra info about the launch released as of yet it you can't really say what is going happen for definite

4. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Officially you're right - preorders are a no-no, but I went into CPW yesterday, and they've reserved one for me after I put £100 down, it's not an official way of doing it but the manager is putting them aside for people when they've put down a 'gift card' as a deposit. They also said they've been allocated 80 of them, and this is a relatively small store - so to be fair I think just turning up on the day will be fine. I only reserved because I'm working from 7am-6pm and didn't want to miss out!

-Leemo

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

I just popped into the O2 store near where I work, and asked them about this - they said it was first come, first serve, but not to worry as there'd be plenty of stock.

I then went across the road to CPW, and they took my phone number, and said they've give me a call with details of how I can walk straight in, and pick up one set aside for me. I'm not totally expecting the call, but it suggests that different stores may well do their own thing when it comes to selling this little beauty.

6. Geffen macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how the stores would handle pre orders since the lines would be long just to get inside the store.