Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
b7mh6e.jpg

In some parts of the UK anaerobic digesters are already being used to generate electricity from human refuse, but this summer British Gas in a partnership with Thames Water and Scotia Gas Networks will start piping biomethane from the sewage system — which is derived from fecal matter — right back into the homes of 130 customers in Didcot in Oxfordshire. The new gas will take 23 days to complete its waste treatment cycle and when it enters homes will smell just like natural gas.

Using human waste for power is not a new idea. Marco Polo noticed that the Chinese used enclosed sewage tanks to generate power and bath water was said to be heated with biogas in Assyria in the 10th century BC. With populations on the rise and the issue of what to do with sewage becoming an ever present problem, why not bring it back around to electrify our houses? It’s completely renewable — as long as we keep eating — and could be a big part of the no waste holy grail.
inhabit

What a crappy idea! But seriously, good work, lol. :)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
And you wonder why many people propose using compressed natural gas (CNG) to fuel personal vehicles. Since CNG can come from many different sources (gas fields, biomass, etc.) and CNG burns very cleanly, it could be a very effectively transitional technology for cleaner cars until battery technology catches up for long-range motor vehicle use.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
"UK Prepares to Use Human Waste to Power Homes" - that would suit the state of the housing stock in the UK. It's not just my impression. According to the OECD, the UK and Ireland has the worst housing stock in Western Europe.

unid

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Traffic_island_bay
I think Oslo has it's buses running on biomethane?
bearing in mind the tech has been around since the 10th century
it's a bit bizarre it's not more widesread

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
clean water? errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no thanks lol

but does sound interesting

So where do you think your clean water is now coming from? From the unlimited supply of fresh water in the sky? All water is basically recycled crap. (or human waste is basically watered down feces). See image. It's in dutch, but you'll understand.

Attachments

• afvalwaterzuivering525px.jpg
    afvalwaterzuivering525px.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 128

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
So where do you think your clean water is now coming from? From the unlimited supply of fresh water in the sky? All water is basically recycled crap. (or human waste is basically watered down feces). See image. It's in dutch, but you'll understand.

The poster stated that they don't want clean water. Maybe they like their feces sludge?

I like idea. There is certainly an endless supply to be had! Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
Good idea. I wonder how efficient it is though?

Also, I wonder if my diet will affect the quality of gas :p
Eat McDonalds and your cooker turns off.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA

Not in the US. Waste treatment plants typically just make the water safe to dump into the ocean or a river. We get our water from reservoirs and wells.

There may be some local exception to that, some agricultural use maybe, but the crazy water people would roll over and die on the spot if they thought they were drinking recycle ca ca.

I sure as hell can't read Dutch, nobody can, but that body of water depicted in the illustration may well be the ocean, not a recycle situation. It just looks like it is being treated as it is elsewhere.

The space station, submarines and such have hugely complex and expensive recycling systems, but they have to.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Not in the US. Waste treatment plants typically just make the water safe to dump into the ocean or a river. We get our water from reservoirs and wells.

There may be some local exception to that, some agricultural use maybe, but the crazy water people would roll over and die on the spot if they thought they were drinking recycle ca ca.

I sure as hell can't read Dutch, nobody can, but that body of water depicted in the illustration may well be the ocean, not a recycle situation. It just looks like it is being treated as it is elsewhere.

The space station, submarines and such have hugely complex and expensive recycling systems, but they have to.

But how do these reservoirs eventually get filled? And over here, the clean waste water gets dumped in the rivers ( Rhine, Maas etc ) and that water is used downstream to make drinking water.

I can read Dutch btw. My mommy taught me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.