UK Pricing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mkjj, Mar 2, 2010.

1. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

And they wonder why I won't buy an Apple TV in the UK!

Attached Files:

2. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Looking forward to the official word on the ipad pricing!

3. kolax macrumors G3

$332 we're pretty much paying.

I got my Apple TV from the states.. so much cheaper.

4. stuarthatto macrumors regular

Add 8% US Sales Tax
    Then add 8% import duty
    Then add 17.5% VAT

comes to roughly 210GBP at $1.49

Add shipping and handling and you are somewhere near....

It looks like a headline difference, but it isn't really as big as you think... of course the difference is huge if you import it illegally

5. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Add 8% US Sales Tax
    Then add 8% import duty
    Then add 17.5% VAT

Eh? You do not pay tax in both countries. If Apple sell in the UK they do not have to charge US sales tax.

6. David The Scot macrumors newbie

Not to mention that shipping and handling are the same as they are made in the Far East and not the US
    So shipping is about the same for Europe and the US

7. kolax macrumors G3

The UK price includes VAT.. and we don't pay US tax.

8. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I bought an old 40GB version in good condition on eBay for 90 pounds because of the high price on the 160GB version. I'll just change the hard drive inside and it's all good ;)

9. Shuttleworth macrumors regular

I think he's referring to the previous poster who imported one. If you import one, you have to pay any local tax (guess you could try and claim it back) and import duty, and handling fee by the carrier on top of the shipping (it's coming from the US).

I got mine from the refurb shop, £130 for a 40Gb version. The 160Gb version is about £180 IIRC. Check the refurb store after midnight (usually around 00:30), they've had quite a few in recently.

10. stuarthatto macrumors regular

I was referring to the poster who imported.

And as for claiming back the US Sales Tax - good luck with that, I tried it once in Texas, and I am still waiting for my refund.

Much is made of the supposed hikes in price or dollar to pound/euro parity - its all generally hogwash.

*IF* you can get away with not paying import duty and VAT by not declaring goods then maybe you can get a bargain, especially if you can get the US Sales Tax back - but be a repeat offender and they will catch up with you eventually, and then the duty becomes much more than 8%

11. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Hello, is that the same for the whole of the refurb store? I ask as I'm looking for a quad iMac but every time I look in the morning the stock seems the same. Day after day. Been at it for 3 weeks now and I've never even seen an iMac which I thought would be there by the crate full considering the problems they've been having.