UK Question RE Buying on Ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wrkactjob, Apr 13, 2008.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

So if I buy off Ebay a new iPhone 16gb unlocked 1.1.4 then connect it to itunes what will happen?

What problems am I likely to experience? will the phone know I have no contract? will it lock out? can I synch music and movies as normal?

What are the down side to buying an unlocked phone off ebay from a good seller?

I am on O2 anyway if that counts for anything.

Anyone done this?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

There aren't many bad points just watch out for the data transfer.
    Good luck with it all.

3. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

How do you mean "watch out for data transfer?" can you explainmore?

Cheers...

4. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Well if you don't grab an unlimited plan, you could see yourself using everything fast as anything. Google maps, youtube, safari, mail are the most common problems but think of all the jailbroken apps you will get.

5. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Ok thanks, yeah I'm on an unlimited data plan already so that should be cool.

Cheers

6. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

how much are you currently paying???
    I really dont see the point of buying from ebay.
    The current iPhone o2 tarrifs are now as good as you'll get.

7. AFKMatrix macrumors member

Mate its far cheaper to just buy an iphone from Apple, Carphone Warehouse or O2 and just Unlock/jailbreak it your self. Your paying for someone to unlock your iphone when you can do it absolutely free yourself!!

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It looks like for 600 minutes, 500 texts, and unlimited data, it's 42.50 a month.
    With an iPhone plan, it's only 35.00 a month.
    Why unlock if you're going to be on O2?

9. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

He might be PAYG-ing it and have an "Unlimited" E/D data bundle.

10. tonywob, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

tonywob macrumors regular

11. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

That should be added to a guide or something, nice story sir.

12. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

OK sounds like it is probably a better route....I am currently in an O2 contract £35pm 600 mins 1000 text and unlimited data so am happy with that. I presume I cant just put my O2 sim in the phone and away I go?...that the phone still needs to be unlocked/jailbroken/whatever?...or can I just use it?

There are lots of advertised on line services to unlock your phone, though some seem to scoff at them as it "can easily be done for free"...

What do people recommend to an IT dumb guy (I work in IT but am a bluffer keeping a low profile and grabbing the money you see?) as being the easiest way to self unlock?

Thanks for your suggestions so far! Will wait till the end of the week before buying to see if the price drop rumours come true!

13. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i got my iphone back in july/august and i got it from ebay - i had a grat experiance when buying the iphone to be honest - helpful guy and kept in contact till i recieved the phone etc too and after sales also. was happy with it. only paid £330 a tthe time which was reasonable, just sold it as im geting ready for 3g version and i got £230 for it, had it 8 months or so aswel so not too bad u know!

yeah youd still have to unlock the iphone to use the current sim on it cos or else the phone wont be registered in any way so cant be used. jailbreaking it etc will allow the use of any sim except from 3 for 3g matters, to be used on it.

i use to use ziphone personally id brought the handset on vers 1.0.2 (first batch upon release pretty much) and upgraded it up to version 1.1.4 and it worked very well indeed just a button click! cant say it will work that great on all versions though :)

14. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

"£35 a month? That's not good"...yes your deal sounds great!...Its difficult to keep up with the way tariffs change and I'm not sure mid contract they will let me change...and there is probably someone somewhere who has the same deal for £7.28pm or something...hayho.

So how much are you charging for a 16gb 114 all ready to use?...PM me if for some reason you dont want to post in public, though I am interested to see if there is a price drop for the 16gb this week.

15. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

A little off topic, but that plan is good.
    My primary phone I'm paying
    £40 (41 ish)
    -Unlimited Text
    -600 Minutes (or 500 depending how they're feeling)
    -Unlimited Evening/Weekend Data usage
    :eek: