Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable eSIM plan in the UK? Ideally not with EE, as I like to have a different network to my phone for redundancy.

I have bought and am using a £7/month 25GB SIM from iD Mobile which on the face of it is great, but I can’t receive SMS to setup my account with them, so am unable to manage/change it. Anyone been in a similar position and know a solution?

If not, any other networks to try? I used to have a Lebara SIM on my old iPad which I was very happy with, but they don’t seem to offer eSIM in the UK yet.

I ideally want to spend <£10/month for 8GB+ of data.

Reactions: NARadyk

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I used to buy a preloaded Sim (physical) from 3 that lasted 2 years for around £35. Now I can’t find anywhere similar for eSIM?

Anyone know of a PAYG eSIM anywhere?

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I‘m on EE on my mobile with stacks of data (250gb) each month - I have a cheap pay monthly sim in my iPad (250mb for a tenner) and just gift 40gb from my phone to my ipad at the start of each month. So my iPad sim with 40gb costs me a tenner basically. That’s as good a deal as I can find. Only downside is that I don;’t get 5g on my iPad, only 4g, but it’s rarely a problem.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I‘m on EE on my mobile with stacks of data (250gb) each month - I have a cheap pay monthly sim in my iPad (250mb for a tenner) and just gift 40gb from my phone to my ipad at the start of each month. So my iPad sim with 40gb costs me a tenner basically. That’s as good a deal as I can find. Only downside is that I don;’t get 5g on my iPad, only 4g, but it’s rarely a problem.

Yeah, but the point is, is that the new iPad’s can only take eSims. Was a lot easier when they took physical sims. Now, I can’t find any eSIM for iPad.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Yeah, but the point is, is that the new iPad’s can only take eSims. Was a lot easier when they took physical sims. Now, I can’t find any eSIM for iPad.
Mine is an eSIM, in an m4 iPad Pro. Also have an eSIM in my iPhone. You can order them online and have the code delivered instantly, or pick one up at an EE shop.

Last edited:

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
I used to buy a preloaded Sim (physical) from 3 that lasted 2 years for around £35. Now I can’t find anywhere similar for eSIM?

Anyone know of a PAYG eSIM anywhere?
Bought the £35 one off Amazon the other day, problem again will be Three send you an SMS sometimes when you want to login (random intervals).

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
i have gone for Giffgaff until Smarty do them. You can set the eSIM up from within their app and you can get authorisation codes by email

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Anyone tried these that are already on the iPad?

dd08f4949b018d956b208f8b660d039a.png

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
You will need to pick up a plastic Giffgaff sim first, activate it on the website, download the app and do a sim swap in the app. The authentication codes by default go to the phone number but you can pick email after the sms is sent.

Giffgaff sims seem to be for sale in many shops.

Reactions: cambookpro

ACDeag

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
Edinburgh, UK
You can’t get an eSIM though can you?
You can buy it, activate it in a phone and register it, then convert it to an eSIM by logging into the Three app on your iPad. Once done it will work fine, the problem will be monitoring usage as to login to your account they send an SMS every so often. If you are happy monitoring usage in the iPad’s settings you will be fine.

Reactions: AVBeatMan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.