UK Recommended Insurance for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thalin, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Thalin macrumors member

I'm running my new early 15" rMBP which is only a couple of months into it's first year Applecare. This is a replacement machine, so I know how useful Applecare is. If it wasn't for the Applecare on the last machine this one wouldn't even be here. However we all know the one downside is it dosn't cover accidental damage.

I'm wondering whether any UK people here can recommend a suitable insurance. From what I can see my options are £150-200 for the extra 2 year Applecare (buying online from somewhere other than Apple) or an unsurance that covers accidental damage, theft, breakdown etc for around the same price, but that is per year, so it would end up costing me more. Any advice?

As this is a replacement machine and I have no official receipt - it was simply a handover in the Apple store, my old machine for this one (I do have lots of paperwork from my old machine however and a typed up repair note from the guru explaining the situation) will that affect any costs?
    Also, if I buy 'external' insurance i'm guessing it won't be Apple that deal with me (perfectly understandable of course)

I'd rather not go with household insurance. I live with my father and he's very fussy about things like that. I have my camera gear insured via Photoguard, and want to do similar with my Macbook.

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Can't personally recommend them as I haven't used them, but Protect Your Bubble gets good reviews, and for a 15" rMBP you'd be looking at around £12 per month. Less if you insure something else with them too.

Covers theft/accidental damage etc.

LINK: http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/li-laptop-insurance.html

3. sabbyp macrumors regular

worth noting that they only cover laptops upto 2500gbp, i'm also assuming it also only covers laptops that have been purchased in the uk?

4. Thalin thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, they're the ones i've heard most about too. So it's best to be very careful with my machine for the first year and rely on Applecare, which of course we all try to be, and then after that add on ProtectYourBubble cover for however many years I need it. That will be most cost effective.
    Or I take out that cover right now, that will at least cover it if any accidents happen in the first year, but then again would the Applecare be good enough for the first year... You never know what can happen.

Hmm, I will have a think.