UK refurbished store, Meroms or Penryns?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phycg, Jul 2, 2008.

1. phycg macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am trying to work out the 'generation' of the MBPs for sale in the UK refurbished store. Specifically is there any well to tell a 2.4GHz 15" Merom from a Penryn based on the specs they give?

For example:

1) It seems clear to me that the 2.5GHz ones are the early 2008 Penryn models - this is the first revision with that speed, no? One thing that seems odd is that in the detailed spec they don't advertise multi-touch or the LED-backlight screen (LED was on the 15 inch Merom too?). Indeed overall the advertising on the UK refurb. store seems low-key (cf. the US refurb store).

2) Here's the tricky one. I want to buy one of the 2.4Ghz models. Now this processor was available on the previous Merom. So how does one tell if its is Merom or Penryn. Note, as above the specs are no more detailed than for the 2.5Ghz models....

3) One clue might be the hard drive size or the GP memory, but from what I have researched the specs are not definitive (for example 200Gb hard drive and 256Mb GP were both build to order options on Meroms). Maybe its unlikely that so many BTOs are for sale in the refurb store?

4) Finally what do you guys reckon on the differences between a Merom (2.4Ghz, 256Mb GP, 200Gb hard drive) and a Penryn (2.4Ghz, 256Mb GP, 200Gb hard drive) would be - real world?

I have called the apple store and they tell me they have no more info on refurbs. than is presented on the webstie.

So what do you guys reckon?

cheers,

Chris

2. okatidubi macrumors regular

If it shows the "multi touch gesture trackpad" as one of the feature in more details, then it's a penryn, no?

3. phycg thread starter macrumors newbie

You would think, but in the UK refurb store the 2.5GHz (which is a Penryn - as that speed, I think, only became avaliable for the first time with the release of the Penryns) does not state multi-touch as a feature.

As a result its possible that the 2.4GHz models, which were available in the previous generation, but that also don't state multi-touch, might in fact be Penryns.....how to tell..... I think its not possible.

Chris

4. okatidubi macrumors regular

You have a point there. The only other way I could think off is to check if the refurb MBP comes with the Apple Remote. If I am correct, the Feb 2008 updates to the MBs and MBPs does not include the Apple Remote. The Feb 2008 updated all MBs and MBPs to penryn.

However, I may be wrong though. Best of luck!

5. phycg thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like you have the solution!

The 2.4Ghz that has a 160Gb hard drive, and so has to be a Merom, has an Apple remote in the box.

The 2.4Ghz that has a 200Gb hard drive so could be a Penryn (or could be a BTO Merom) does NOT have a remote in the box. That combined with the fact that there are lots of MBPS with the 2.4/200/"no remote" spec seems to suggest they are in fact Penryn.

Can anyone fault that logic?

Chris

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yep the merom 2.4 has a 160gb HDD, whereas the Penryn 2.4 has a 200gb.

However the merom 2.4 is actually faster than the penryn 2.4.

7. Nickb macrumors regular

chris! your a star!

im having the exact same problem as you - i want to buy an MBP from the refurb store but dont know which to go for - and having looked at the US site it really threw me as they state on their spec 'multi touch track pad' but on our UK site it just says 'scrolling'

so have you come to some kind of conclusion here, ones that list they DONT include and apple remote are in fact penryn and multi touch?

they also have a 2.6 up if you have noticed in both 15" and 17"

hm which to buy:confused:

good thread mate - most useful

nick

8. phycg thread starter macrumors newbie

Well seems to be that for the 2.4GHz speed MBPs that some are listed with an Apple Remote as included in the box, some without. Now, if you are willing to bet on it, this seems to indicate that those without are the Penryns those with are Meroms. On a second view of the refurb store there are more 2.4 MBPs with the remote than without, so if we're correct more Meroms than Penryns - which I guess makes sense.

Of course all of this hangs on Apple correctly writing up the box contents. Could the few 2.4 MBPs without remotes actually include remotes but just not say? - could be!

But unless anyone comes up with a better differentiator then it seems its the best we have to go on. I am still swinging backwards and forwards on wether to take the risk....

On the subject of 2.6GHz models, make sure they have a 512Mb GPU, if they don't they could still be Meroms.

Seem like the conclusion so far is that the only refurbs that are for sure Penryns are wither 2.5Ghz speed, or 2.6 if accompanied by a 512Mb GPU.
    With everyones input I think for the 2.4/200/256 models we just can't be 100% sure.

Wikipedia has a good page on the specs of different generations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macbook_pro

Chris

9. Nickb macrumors regular

ah this is tricky! seems to be the penryns are abit more pricy too - will these then be multi touch?

im now even more confused about which to get - the 2.6 lists that they come with an apple remote, so i guess thats them out the window! however the first on the list, which is one of the cheapest on there - doesnt list an apple remote:confused:

so any of the 2.5 are penryns? even though some list an apple remote included?

would it be easyer to just buy a new 2.4? or should i cough up the extra cash and get it alittle bit faster?