UK resindents - cheap car insurance???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tymmz, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone can recommend me a cheap car-insurance-company in the UK.

What do you guys think is a good price for a car-insurance.

I have my license since 2000 and was wondering how much the diffences are between the different insurance groups.

e.g.

VW Lupo
    group 2

New Golf
    group 4

New Mini
    group 6

New Mini Cooper
    group 8

2. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

There is no such thing as cheap insurance, just one might be a slightly smaller rip-off than the next.

But to answer your question people need to know more about you, as in how long you've been driving, home address, engine size, excess and job all affect prices. The problem is, handing out that sort of info isn't clever.

I'd suggest looking it up on gocompare.com or something.

3. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Very true.

I went to a few of these "get quote"-sites, but didn't want to give them too many details about me.

Would you trust gocompare.com with your personal details?

4. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

This is what I dislike about "get-quote"-sites:

5. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Go to an insurance broker... they do much the same as the comparison websites, but you get to speak to a person, and they usually have a good option for you to look at.

I've been getting my insurance via a broker for three years and it's always been cheaper than gocompare or moneysupermarket or confused.

6. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

7. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I've used www.moneysupermarket.com for several years and not had junk mail.

Use a cashback site like Quidco (there's an article on www.moneysavingexpert.com with some others I can't remember the names of) to get a big discount on the insurance premium.

Pay upfront not monthly, it's much much cheaper (possibly even if you have to put it on a credit card and pay interest - you'll have to do the maths).

I'm surprised an insurance broker can do a deal cheaper than a comparison site, but if it costs nothing to speak to one then by all means give it a go.

Tesco and Direct Line aren't included on any price comparison sites so check them separately.

8. weckart macrumors 68040

You have to factor in value when making a choice, not just premium costs. The true cost of your insurance is only made clear when you have to make a claim.

I went with Direct Line once, because it was much cheaper than all of the competition. My car was a write off after skidding on black ice and I put in a claim. Loss adjusters did their job and a cheque followed in the post. Much lower than the market value and also the value Direct Line took on board when calculating the premium.

I will never look at DL again, no matter how much they undercut the rest, as it is clear how they make their margins.

This is something I have never understood about insurance. You insure for a value. The premium is calculated from this value against the likelihood of your putting in a claim. However, what is the basis for "loss adjusting"? That is just having two bites of the cherry.

If the insurers want the premiums you pay, they should also cough up on the basis of the premiums paid.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

why do Insurance Adverts really wind me up !! :mad:

Broker BTW much cheaper

10. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816